Discuss Gluing alarm cables to UPVC Window frames & Door architraves in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hello SWD,

I guarantee You that you could NOT do anything with the Alarm cables better than I could !

I will not identify where I live - but regarding your comments about South London - have you ever heard of Dulwich ?

Other `desireable` South London areas exist.

Chris
I know Dull Wich, mate off mine had a place in a converted Victorian Hospital nice flat he then moved to Heston......

I bet you £10k I could....... otherwise what would you be asking for advice on here........

I know Dull Wich, mate off mine had a place in a converted Victorian Hospital nice flat he then moved to Heston......

I bet you £10k I could....... otherwise what would you be asking for advice on here........

Give it a rest. Jeez.

This thread has got a bit like when the fish makes Rodger the alien and Steve,watch that "history of the bicycle" video...

Just thinking...…..what's the point of having a wireless detector system if you're hard wiring it all?
….all be it bit by bit, when something fails.

Hello again ipf,

Are You seriously suggesting that over the last 20 years when I had detectors that were either being made useless by some kind of RF Interference or had malfunctioned in another way [years apart] I should have replaced the entire Alarm system rather than solving the problems by wiring a new detector to the Alarm Control Box which has the facility to connect 16 x wired detectors ?

About 5 years after I bought the Alarm system and many extra detectors and remote controls etc. the wireless detectors for my system were no longer available from the manufacturer and although they had developed quite a few newer wireless Alarm systems none of the newer wireless detectors were compatible with my Alarm model.

I had not known at the time that the model of my Alarm system had already been on sale for about 5 years so 5 years after I purchased it the manufacturers classified it as `obsolete`.

I would never install a Wireless Alarm system in my Home again - and I would actively dissuade anyone that I know to not install one.

Every problem I have had has been with a wireless detector - and now the Control Box `Wireless / RF receiver` has malfunctioned terminally.

Chris

The texacom wireless burglar alarm systems are good though and I do recommend them..
They use what is known as a ricochet mesh, all the devices are used to create a communication mesh rather than the old point to point type.

SWD - You sound like the type of `Tradesman` that would `take a chance` and try drilling behind the UPVC mouldings - irrespective of the possibility of causing damage.

Regarding your silly comment - I did NOT post this thread asking for advice on HOW to run the Alarm cables to the Window and Door detectors - I asked for recommendations on an adhesive to use.

I have been a Tradesman in the Heating, Plumbing & Gas Industries for over 50 years not including my Apprenticeship and IF there was a better method of running these cables to the detectors I guarantee that I could carry it out as well as any Electrician.

As You are obviously intent on `winding me up` I will make this my last reply to You.

Chris

P.S: I apologise to other Members for my previous comments about my House - I was not bragging about the value - I had been irritated by Member SWD and by the time I regretted my remark it was too late to Edit it out.

Chris

The texacom wireless burglar alarm systems are good though and I do recommend them..
They use what is known as a ricochet mesh, all the devices are used to create a communication mesh rather than the old point to point type.

Hello Charlie,

That is useful information for other Members / other readers of this thread - it is always good to get recommendations from an Electrician / someone who has `hands on` experience with something like an Alarm system.

When I manage to run the new Alarm cables to the Window and Door magnetic contact detectors I will then have a `fully wired` system so then when I have to replace it all of the wiring will be in place.

Thanks again for all of your replies.

Chris

Superglue or Mitre Fast would be fine.

Hello Resu,

Thanks for your reply.

Superglue has been suggested by another Member earlier in this thread but I am waiting to get some so that I can try it on the Alarm cable insulation to ensure that it does not damage / melt it.

Chris

I suppose I only worked at the V+A and Natural History museums running and hiding cables in various places but then again I know nothing so I am out but as a parting shot check out Tiger Seal or the 3M range of adhesives.

can buy a glue gun with a few sticks for under £20. i done same with 10m of alarm cable back in 1984, still working, stuck to the pvc conservatory.

I suppose I only worked at the V+A and Natural History museums running and hiding cables in various places but then again I know nothing so I am out but as a parting shot check out Tiger Seal or the 3M range of adhesives.

Hello again SWD,

I did not write that You know nothing.

Your attitude seemed to not be taking into consideration that I am also a `Technical Tradesman` and I would know what was possible regarding the Window frames and Door architraves for terminating the Alarm cables to the new Magnetic contact detectors in my own Home.

Don`t You think that a fellow Tradesman would be able to assess whether there was a better way to get the Alarm cables that I describe in this thread from a wall surface to the detectors other than gluing them to the Window and Door mouldings in their own Home ?

Although there is quite a lot of detail / a few layers on the Window frames and Door architraves they are not thick - the bottom of the thinnest section of the mouldings where it meets the Windows / Doors is no more than about 8mm - that piece is 35mm high.

The only way that I could run the cables to the detectors without gluing them to the frames and architraves would be to get a Window fitter to remove them [not a DIY job and the pieces would not be reusable] and even then because of this 35mm high x 8mm thickness lower section I would not have any room to channel out a new piece - the Alarm cable measures slightly over 5mm.

I know that you asked for photos and I did take a couple to post but because of the brilliant white of the UPVC frames and architrave - the low energy lighting in the rooms and the limitations of my old `non smart` mobile phone camera the detail / thin lower section was not showing in the photos - also I find that I lose detail from photos when I transfer them to my Computer and then make a file.

I have also noticed that attaching a photo to a message on here also seems to lose definition - a combination of all of this meant that posting photos would have been no help - they would seem to just show just white frames / architraves.

Thank You for recommending the adhesives.

Chris

Spend more do the job as it should be done. Perfection is the key not harf measures and it doesn't matter what it costs as a cable glued to a plastic window would annoy the hell out of me but then again I don't think I would ever live i a house with plastic windows, it like having a blow up doll as a "wife".

thought you did. being as how space is limited down in london town, makes sense. :eek::eek::eek:.

can buy a glue gun with a few sticks for under £20. i done same with 10m of alarm cable back in 1984, still working, stuck to the pvc conservatory.

Hello telectrix,

Thanks for your message and for recommending the Glue gun & Glue sticks - especially your mention that your Alarm cables are still adhered after 35 years.

I mentioned in my original post on this thread that I knew about using a Hot Glue gun and Glue sticks which is what I have seen Alarm fitters use over the years.

It was not the cost of these that made me ask about using just a small tube of a recommended adhesive it was because I would have no further use for a Glue gun and Glue sticks.

I thought that I might have been lucky enough to get a recommendation from a Member who had perhaps needed to glue one or two Alarm cables as I had described.

I am definitely a person who has the mindset `use the correct tools and materials for the work` - but in this case I hoped that there would be a suitable adhesive in small tube.

I only have 4 x Alarm cables to run - the length of each being glued to the UPVC frames / architraves is only about 150mm.

I know that white silicone would work but I wondered whether it would be too messy even with a very thin bead regarding cleaning off the slight excess from around the cables on the frames and architraves - I don`t want to have to use something to scrape off mastic on the UPVC.

Thanks again.

Chris

Last edited:

Reply to Gluing alarm cables to UPVC Window frames & Door architraves in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock