Discuss Gluing alarm cables to UPVC Window frames & Door architraves in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

thought you did. being as how space is limited down in london town, makes sense. :eek::eek::eek:.
My house is fine for me, not too large not too small at about 100m2 soon to be extended though as another development potential, may need some "fittings" and cables so will PM you with my order so you can rad the wholesalers........ ;o)))))

another alternative is to bead some CIS white compound to the pvc, the stick the cables on. after, then apply another bead over thee cable/s.

another alternative is to bead some CIS white compound to the pvc, the stick the cables on. after, then apply another bead over thee cable/s.
This has been going on so long I'm surprised no ones come up with a new invention...….capping and casing, maybe.

This has been going on so long I'm surprised no ones come up with a new invention...….capping and casing, maybe.

Hello again ipf,

Another `Wind Up` ?

How could anyone use what You are suggesting to run Alarm cables around the shape of Window frames and Door architraves.

What I keep describing cannot possibly be being constantly misunderstood by the Professional Tradesmen / Tradeswomen on here.

Chris

Hello again ipf,

Another `Wind Up` ?

How could anyone use what You are suggesting to run Alarm cables around the shape of Window frames and Door architraves.

What I keep describing cannot possibly be being misunderstood by the Professional Tradesmen / Tradeswomen on here.

Chris

To be fair Chris, without photos it might not be easy for people to picture it. I know you mentioned you were having trouble getting decent photos, but it might help to put them on here.

I don't think ipf is trying to wind you up.

To be fair Chris, without photos it might not be easy for people to picture it. I know you mentioned you were having trouble getting decent photos, but it might help to put them on here.

Hello DPG,

Thanks for your messages.

The reason why I think that comments like Members ipf and SWD have been making are very likely to be `wind ups` is how can technically minded Electricians misunderstand my descriptions about UPVC Window frames and Door architraves ?

Irrespective of the fact that there are various moulding shapes / frame profiles made from various pieces of UPVC - different on most windows and doors dependant on the fitter / Window company - I have described that the lowest section is only 8mm thick x 35mm high.

I described that thin lower section because it could not accept a hole drilled to thread the Alarm cable through.

Chris

whatever method you use, to comply with current regs., the cable needs metal fixings to prevent premature sagging. some galv. tray with metal straps would comply even if it looked horrendous. as it's an alarm system, why not upgrade it to a wireless detector alarm like the Risco |Lightsys or Agility? also gives remote access from moby via app.

whatever method you use, to comply with current regs., the cable needs metal fixings to prevent premature sagging. some galv. tray with metal straps would comply even if it looked horrendous. as it's an alarm system, why not upgrade it to a wireless detector alarm like the Risco |Lightsys or Agility? also gives remote access from moby via app.

Hello again telectrix,

Thanks for your message.

The Alarm detector cables are 12 volt so I cannot imagine that they are covered by the Electrical Regulations regarding clipping etc. ?

My Alarm system has been installed for 20 years - I am having to wire up some Door and Window Magnetic contacts because the Alarm Control box RF Receiver has failed and no longer receives the wireless / RF signals from the remaining wireless detectors on my system.

As I mentioned in previous messages I have gradually had to `hard wire` new detectors to the Alarm Control Box to replace the systems wireless detectors as malfunctioned over the years.

When I manage to run the cables around the Window frames and Door architraves and connect the Magnetic contacts my Alarm will finally have been fully changed from the `Wireless Burglar Alarm` that I bought and installed 20 years ago to a `Wired Burglar Alarm`.

Finding a £5.00 or £6.00 [guess] small tube of adhesive suitable for gluing the 150mm sections of the cables around the frame / architrave profiles will obviously be preferable to buying and installing a new Alarm system.

Chris

Last edited:
Or just buy a tube of Tec7 or CT1 or something like someone suggested in about the third post!

Hello matt4321,

I have mentioned a few times that I only have 4 x 150mm sections of the Alarm cable to glue to the Window frames and Door architraves - total cable length 600mm.

I have been hoping for a recommendation for a small tube of adhesive - not because of cost but because I would have no further use for something like `Tec7`.

I don`t have any outstanding `DIY jobs` at my home where I could use a mastic gun cartridge size tube of any adhesive.

I am going to buy some Superglue to put onto an offcut of Alarm cable to see whether it will degrade / melt the pvc insulation as that would be very easy to use on the frames / architraves.

I apologise to Members - I should have done that before posting this thread on the Forum.

Chris

Last edited:

I'm afraid I can only go so far trying to help someone with what is, basically, a minor problem.

For goodness sake, chris, just give something a try....maybe even get some chewing gum and try it as a temporary fixing to see how it looks.

I'm afraid I can only go so far trying to help someone with what is, basically, a minor problem.

For goodness sake, chris, just give something a try....maybe even get some chewing gum and try it as a temporary fixing to see how it looks.

Hello again ipf,

Please see my message to Member matt4321 above.

Chris

Hello All,

Thanks to the Members who have replied to me.

I would be happy for a Moderator to close this thread now if they feel that it has gone far enough ?

Chris

Hello All,

Thanks to the Members who have replied to me.

I would be happy for a Moderator to close this thread now if they feel that it has gone far enough ?

Chris

Hello again,

Because this thread has become so long-winded perhaps it should not be closed until I can at least post the result of the `Superglue Test`.

Then there would at least be an answer to whether Superglue is suitable for gluing pvc insulated Alarm cable to UPVC.

Chris

still tink my suugy of white blu-tac is viable. if it don't work there is no damage to cable or structure. if it works, then a winner.

still tink my suugy of white blu-tac is viable. if it don't work there is no damage to cable or structure. if it works, then a winner.

Hello telectrix,

Thanks for your suggestion.

Would I be correct in thinking that I would need to use pieces of the white `blu-tac` that were wider than the diameter of the Alarm cable and that it might also discolour and make the cables more noticeable on the brilliant white UPVC ?

Chris

Hello telectrix,

Thanks for your suggestion.

Would I be correct in thinking that I would need to use pieces of the white `blu-tac` that were wider than the diameter of the Alarm cable and that it might also discolour and make the cables more noticeable on the brilliant white UPVC ?

Chris
it's a try it and see. if it fades or is inappropriate, pull it off and start over.

Reply to Gluing alarm cables to UPVC Window frames & Door architraves in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock