Discuss Good electricians hand book? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Morning all,
I have just bought my first house and I am looking to rewire it in the near future room by room.
I am by trade an industrial electrician and have little domestic training other than my inspection and testing and the odd job here and then.
I was wondering if there was a book out there excluding the regs and the onsite guide which has a lot of the most commonly required informations for installing within domestics i.e socket heights, switchgear distances from basins, authorised cable runs and so on and so forth.
This is pretty much to save me having to scroll through the big book but also make sure that I haven’t forgot/missed anything as sometimes the wording in the regs aren’t the clearest.
Also a book including tips and trips for cable runs/chasing cables would be an extra bonus.
Any advice on handbooks/information sources would be brilliant!
Cheers

Morning all,
I have just bought my first house and I am looking to rewire it in the near future room by room.
I am by trade an industrial electrician and have little domestic training other than my inspection and testing and the odd job here and then.
I was wondering if there was a book out there excluding the regs and the onsite guide which has a lot of the most commonly required informations for installing within domestics i.e socket heights, switchgear distances from basins, authorised cable runs and so on and so forth.
This is pretty much to save me having to scroll through the big book but also make sure that I haven’t forgot/missed anything as sometimes the wording in the regs aren’t the clearest.
Also a book including tips and trips for cable runs/chasing cables would be an extra bonus.
Cheers

The on-site guide is a handy reference and should have a lot of what you're looking for:

IET On-Site Guide | 18th Edition - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BKOSG18.html?source=adwords&ad_position=&ad_id=315107931576&placement=&kw=&network=u&matchtype=&ad_type=&product_id=BKOSG18&product_partition_id=576185600342&version=finalurl_v3&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIw5KSw-ut3wIVjc13Ch3lqQBBEAQYASABEgKtIPD_BwE

Thanks jim,
I already have the on-site guide I was made to think m that it doesn’t include regulations for socket heights etc as these were building regs?
I may stand corrected but if I am correct do you know of any books out there other than the regs and on site guide?

Morning all,
Cheers
OSG is a good start

Thanks jim,
I already have the on-site guide I was made to think m that it doesn’t include regulations for socket heights etc as these were building regs?

I'm going with the On Site Guide as well. This does mention the socket heights (page 191 18th Ed OSG).
Just for info mate, the socket height applies to new buildings.

Electricians guide to building regulations Electrician's Guide to the Building Regulations, 5th Edition - IET Electrical - https://electrical-shop.------.org/books/guidance-notes/egbr-5ed.cfm

The above book would be useful to you, it would cover quite a bit that is already in the OSG, but there is also additional info.

As for tips on cable runs, chasing etc I think it's pretty unlikely you're going to find a book on that. That's just going to be down to experience I'm afraid.

upload_2018-12-20_10-1-5.jpeg

Jeeez if you are an industrial electrician (like I was) then a house rewire is the same as a Michelin Star'd chef having to boil an egg.........

Just don't use 25mm conduit in the living room.......
…..or pyro for the lighting.....

Jeeez if you are an industrial electrician (like I was) then a house rewire is the same as a Michelin Star'd chef having to boil an egg.........

Just don't use 25mm conduit in the living room.......
all the crap that goes in a modern living room - AV, etherwet, hdmi, he'll need 32mm.

Not long out of your time, Joe?
If so, don't be worried by the ribbing...after all, experience is what it's all about. Pick as much info as you need up but use your common sense and things will fall into place.

You don’t need to worry about socket/switch heights etc, as that only applies to “new builds” and not applicable to a rewire of an existing property.

Just use your common sense when it comes to where to position sockets/switches.

You don’t need to worry about socket/switch heights etc, as that only applies to “new builds” and not applicable to a rewire of an existing property.

Just use your common sense when it comes to where to position sockets/switches.
If you are a Wet Ham supporter then as high as possible as the tears of frustration will rebound from the badly laid laminate flooring and can short the socket if too close to the skirting board......... ;o))))))

Reply to Good electricians hand book? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net