Discuss Grounding of Module Frames with transformerless inverters? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jerriais

Hi all,

I heard somewhere that with the new transformerless inverters from SMA and others there is a need to ground all the modules and mounting structure.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks!

So that would be a lot of extra work on the roof, not sure if it's worth getting the TL inverters then, and they're more expensive than the regular Sunny Boy inverters.

We use these transformerless inverters with electrical seperation built in.

Attachments

• Declaration Letter for transformerless design and RCD type B_2010_04_30.pdf
    140.8 KB · Views: 167
It's nice that they have 2 MPPT trackers so even if one string is shaded the array can produce decent power, good for E-W roofs for example but with all the extra hassle I don't think I'll be trying them. Steca do a double tracking inverter which isn't transformerless (I think) so that might be a better bet. Thanks for the info Biggs!

It gives official notification that the inverter has built in protection and therefore complies with the electrical seperation issue and RCD class B, and if your complying with that then everything else concerned with it drops into place.

Reply to Grounding of Module Frames with transformerless inverters? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hello everyone, I recently want to purchase some IBC photovoltaic modules for testing. However, since there are currently not many providers of...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, I currently have two solar modules left over from an installation and I would like to use them to set up a solar system on the...
Replies
Views
Hello All I was pondering an idea recently regarding the ground connection to my property. At present it has a combined Neutral to earth at the...
Replies
Views
This is confusing, I've ordered a few bits of this stuff, some switch modules and front plates and in the bumf on the website it says:- Click...
Replies
Views
So I'm looking to connect my car's battery directly to a Pure Sine Wave 2000w power inverter So I can use it on job sites etc to power a microwave...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock