Discuss Guestimating the age of a consumer unit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Does anyone know the rough sort of years the various types of consumer units were in operation?
I.e when where the BS 3036 fuses brought in then phased out? When were mcb's brought out etc

As a young lad I haven't a clue how to put an estimate on the age of an installation!

3036 fused boards phased out around 70's, early 80's. likewise hrc fused boards. both these types of board used from the year dot. MCBs came into regular use in early 80's, with RCDs fitted front end, then split boards early 90's. hope this helps.

When did the dno's go round fitting the elcb's, upfront to consumer units/fuse boards,I take it these were a after fit? Some of these I've seen look lie right antique things and more important when did they stop fitting them?

if they were VOELCBs, then they were fitted in 70's early 80's. can be identified by having an earth wire to them. if found, replace.

Cheers biff, that's what i typed (i think) but don't notice auto correct had done its thing.
infact, you get a thanks for being helpful and not just dam right rude for the sake of it, towards me!

Service head cut-out fuse

What to do when you can't see the fuse rating and make on a service head. I'm guesting its 40/60 Amp dark brown flat type with no writing app from manufacture brand.

Reply to Guestimating the age of a consumer unit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hello, Is there an actual age limit on house wiring that would prevent a traditional fuse box being replaced with a consumer unit please...
Replies
Views
Hi all, what is the best way to configure surge protection in domestic dwellings when you have multiple consumer units? Does each consumer unit...
Replies
Views
Been asked to move, remove and add some sockets the kitchen and I’ll need to add a circuit for an electric hob. Looked at the board and it’s one...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm interested in a house built around the 1980's in Northern Ireland. I took a few photos of the consumer unit etc. which is situated in the...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, A diversity question concerning 2 consumer units fed from 100amp DNO supply Background, So I have an 18th Ed compliant consumer...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock