Discuss Had my Solar PV installed yesterday - and couldn't be happier with my choice in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

j2d

Had my Solar PV installed yesterday - and couldn't be happier with my choice
grin.gif

New to the Forum, but I thought i'd share my install info

West facing roof in Essex

16 x 245W sunlink panels
Aurora one inverter
Energy monitor
Both with a 10 year guarantee

All for £9750!!!

The installation went like a dream, a team of 5 turned up at 8am (1 doing the electrics, the rest on the roof)
Real nice proffessional guys, very neat and tidy job, who were more than happy to do exactly what I wanted - even trimmed down my soil vents for me.

Swithched on 2:30ish and even on a West facing roof with a large oak tree giving plenty of shading (which is soon to be trimmed) it produced 6 units and peaked at 2.657Kw.

Paid the final payment over the phone, and recieved my MCS cert and invoice within half hour by email, which I sent off this morning
wink.gif

Got up this morning at 7:30 and it had already switched on, and is now producing just over 2Kw's. Got the washing machine and 1200 watts of electric underfloor heating on, and the meter outside isn't moving!!! Happy days

I really couldnt recommend this company enough, they are a large nationwide company with lots of experience, great customer service and most importantly great price!! They are also offering a limited deal on 16 x 250w Sharp panels for £10,995 at the moment.

Anyway, hopefully the pics below will work and you can see the install for yourself. Any comments welcome

John

CIMG1191.jpg
CIMG1190.jpg
CIMG1189.jpg

DC cables, DC isolators, Inverter, presence of two supplies, do not disconnect DC under load etc. - the usual set of labels that should be affixed to all installations.

How many units did you produce today, i ask coz i'm in Essex with the same size system 3.92Kw. i have been up and running since last Sunday give me 103Kwh. so thats about £45 payback.

Is mounting on a wooden surface a problem? The Aurora installation manual doesn't mention combustible surfaces. I know SMA had an expert report on the subject for sunny boys & mini central inverters http://files.sma.de/dl/7418/HolzUnt-UEN082610.pdf and there appears to be no major problems.

Can't really tell from the pictures but what size is the AC cable, I would expect 6mm but it looks less than that, as i say though can't really tell just wondered?

Last edited:
No evidence of DC sensitive RCD or array frame bonding for T/L inverter. (safety issue)
No stuffing glands on AC or DC isolators. (safety issue)
Lack of warning labels as per ER-G/83. (safety issue)
Apparently undersized AC cable (loss of revenue issue)

Can almost guarantee at least the AC and DC certificates will be not existant or not worth the paper they were written on,
Installation will probably not be notified to DNO under G83 as that takes time, and time costs money.

I'm not sure it's such a bad install - just not compliant.

Not having warning stickers where they should be is not a major issue for the customer in all fairness. I would be concerned about the inverter being mounted on combustible material and the size of the AC cable. The fact that stuffing glands have not been used on the isolators is a bit shoddy.

Just make sure you get details of the structural survey, DC and AC tests (and Part P notification), warranties, G83 notification etc. May not interest you now, but it will do if you come to sell your house in the future.

Like I say, the install doesn't look too bad to me but it is the kind of reaction you'll get from a trade forum. It's not because people want to pick holes, they are simply trying to look after the customer.

I assume it was the same company as I had a quote from (I don't wish to advertise them): same price (£9750) for Sunlink 245W panels and Power One inverter ... their representative was upfront about what they do: they more or less install this one system at under £10K ... and it sells!

However, I’m of a nervous disposition and I didn’t feel that maybe the company would be around in years to come once the FiT wanes. And I wasn’t too sure about the Sunlink panels either.

As I’m getting quotes £10K - £11K for ‘better’ panels from reputable PV installers – I prefer them to have an extended and proven electrical background and who, like me, are conscientious and genuinely interested in their work – this is the route I’m going down. I would like to think that in years to come the installer can be contacted to discuss any issues that arise and how best to overcome them.

Price is a major factor, but for me so is piece of mind about the installer and the fact that a more efficient system should easily gain back the extra initial outlay over the 25 year period.

I hope I get all the necessary stickers, certs & glands on my install!

I assume it was the same company as I had a quote from (I don't wish to advertise them): same price (£9750) for Sunlink 245W panels and Power One inverter ... their representative was upfront about what they do: they more or less install this one system at under £10K ... and it sells!

However, I’m of a nervous disposition and I didn’t feel that maybe the company would be around in years to come once the FiT wanes. And I wasn’t too sure about the Sunlink panels either.

As I’m getting quotes £10K - £11K for ‘better’ panels from reputable PV installers – I prefer them to have an extended and proven electrical background and who, like me, are conscientious and genuinely interested in their work – this is the route I’m going down. I would like to think that in years to come the installer can be contacted to discuss any issues that arise and how best to overcome them.

Price is a major factor, but for me so is piece of mind about the installer and the fact that a more efficient system should easily gain back the extra initial outlay over the 25 year period.

I hope I get all the necessary stickers, certs & glands on my install!

We have a 10 year guaratee whether the company still exist or not, and I guaratee 90% of them wont be in existance this time next year after yesterdays news on the new FIT rates and cut off dates!

John

I agree with J2d - we also went with an independent 10 year warranty for the very same reason. Even before the latest scare with the FIT, 10 years is a long time for any company. Add in the dimension of the FIT reduction and 10 months is longer than some suppliers will be around because the prices will need to be squeezed and the margins will have many running for a different business opportunity.

Had my Solar PV installed yesterday - and couldn't be happier with my choice
grin.gif

New to the Forum, but I thought i'd share my install info

West facing roof in Essex

16 x 245W sunlink panels
Aurora one inverter
Energy monitor
Both with a 10 year guarantee

All for £9750!!!

The installation went like a dream, a team of 5 turned up at 8am (1 doing the electrics, the rest on the roof)
Real nice proffessional guys, very neat and tidy job, who were more than happy to do exactly what I wanted - even trimmed down my soil vents for me.

Swithched on 2:30ish and even on a West facing roof with a large oak tree giving plenty of shading (which is soon to be trimmed) it produced 6 units and peaked at 2.657Kw.

Paid the final payment over the phone, and recieved my MCS cert and invoice within half hour by email, which I sent off this morning
wink.gif

Got up this morning at 7:30 and it had already switched on, and is now producing just over 2Kw's. Got the washing machine and 1200 watts of electric underfloor heating on, and the meter outside isn't moving!!! Happy days

I really couldnt recommend this company enough, they are a large nationwide company with lots of experience, great customer service and most importantly great price!! They are also offering a limited deal on 16 x 250w Sharp panels for £10,995 at the moment.

Anyway, hopefully the pics below will work and you can see the install for yourself. Any comments welcome

John

View attachment 8323
View attachment 8324
View attachment 8325

Happy with mine too :hurray:

20 Suntech 200kw Pluto Ade
Power One PVI -3600 uk Inverter
Remote reader
SE Facing in Gainsborough

Solar Install click on link

Reply to Had my Solar PV installed yesterday - and couldn't be happier with my choice in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net