Discuss Hello!! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Ryan Talbot

Hi there,

Just a brief intro - I'm 25 and currently in the process of renovating my first ever property with the intention of selling and looking to make a little bit of money.

The property is a 1960's ex-council 3 bedroom semi-detached house in Farnborough, Hampshire. I have had two electricians in to have a look at the property, one created loads of holes in my walls and left an absolute mess anywhere, and quoted me over £4.5k telling me how I needed to have spotlights in every bedroom and every single cable in the property changed. The second told me that I would need a full re-wire however for selling purposes I may be able to get away with just making a few changes.

My intention is that I want to get it 'working' for the sake of re-sale and nothing more, I wouldn't hesitate for a second if I was going to be living in the property.

I have a reasonable knowledge of very basic electrics and have made some small changes, so far I have changed all of the single sockets for doubles, wired these back up and all are working fine, I have also changed all of the light switches and again all are working fine.

Question 1: The bit I am stuck on is the landing light at the top of the stairs, it is a single switch but behind it where the others have a live and a neutral, this one has a live and a neutral coming out of a grey cable at the top and a red, blue and white coming out of a grey cable at the bottom, how do I re-wire this back up to a more modern switch cover?

Question 2: I am in the process of changing the lighting in the kitchen and bathroom - neither of them have an earth coming out of the ceiling so I am presuming I will need to get hold of a double insulated/plastic light for each - does anyone know anywhere to get any decent/cheap ones?

Question 3: In the master bedroom, the light switch works fine, in the second bedroom, the light switch works fine, however when I switch on the light in the second bedroom and the master bedroom light is still on - it switches off... how do I rectify this?

I really appreciate any advice you can offer!

P.S. Please bare in mind that this is totally a cost exercise and I don't want to spend thousands of pounds on getting the property re-wired so unless that is the only option - please don't advise it!

Rgds,

Ryan.

Some photos of the switches you're having problems with would help. Also post a couple of pics of the CU and you'll probably get some advice on whether a rewire is essential of not.

you need to hope that an experienced forum member is close to you that can give you an unbiased sensible assessment of what is required. or get a couple of local sparks to quote, all too often you will get so called sparks trying to get you to rewire or do unnecessary works.

You wouldn't live there but your happy to sell it to someone at as much as you can get and let them have lots of problems

Reply to Hello!! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net