Discuss Help with Wylex board in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

And the holes you have cut have compromised the board the manufacturer tested and fire rated, on the one hand others have suggested that you can not put a Hager MCB or RCBO into a Wylex board even though they fit without modifications, but we can drill holes and fit glands that are not the same as the manufacture used to fire rate and test their board, can we have it both ways? tongue still firmly in my cheek.

Last edited:
I would have used plaster board rawl plugs, the metal screw in ones. Man, you've gone to a lot of trouble for the sake of a rawl plug ?
Or possibly screw a piece of ply on to the wall into the joists, it would only be a little bigger than your original board.
Drywall anchors far better imo. Like these

Why didn't you say they were umbrella or brolly fixings you were linking to
To avoid regional differences in what things are called. I should have called them hollow wall anchors. But if I ask for a box of dry wall anchors at a certain size and that's what I get. If I ask for umbrella or brolly fixings I'd get a confused stare.

Same as 100A Service blocks, we call them Isco's, you call them Henleys

To avoid regional differences in what things are called. I should have called them hollow wall anchors. But if I ask for a box of dry wall anchors at a certain size and that's what I get. If I ask for umbrella or brolly fixings I'd get a confused stare.

If I asked my fixings suppliers for drywall anchors the response I would get is which ones do you want

If I asked my fixings suppliers for drywall anchors the response I would get is which ones do you want
The post that sparked this interesting debate, about regional variation of terms used for fixings intended for use on hollow walls, also included a link to the specific type of product being reffered to.

If you asked your suppliers for drywall anchors and showed them the image in that link, I imagine they would simply ask how many you wanted.

Some interesting reading on page 2 about knockouts.

some manufacturer have the same board but come with round KOs, square KOs or none at all, so you can drill what you need.

I would drill new fixing holes and have a good solid fixing to a wooden joist rather than use the supplied holes and possibly miss the woodwork in all four fixings.

Even brolly fixings can come loose if the plasterboard is the thin stuff.

Actually had to look it up the first time I heard the term Henleys

If it is plasterboard you are attaching to then plenty of options, but if it is horrible old lath-and-plaster then a board fixed to whatever beams you can find is a much better idea.

Actually, I don't think lath-and-plaster comes in any options other than "horrible and old".

Reply to Help with Wylex board in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net