Discuss Hi from sunny Bradford, female part qualified spark looking for progression advice in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

JoWW

Hi I'm Jo (Joanne on a Sunday!), i'm a 29 year old so called mature student (i know knocking on a bit aren't I lol). Just passed my C & G 2356 level 2 and 2382 17th Edition with Leeds City College. Also undertaken a plastering course as I figured it could be useful for patching back in.

Hoping to do my level 3 but in two minds whether this would be the best route to take at the moment because of all the changes with course fees & qualifications offered by C & G. Originally my level 3 was going to cost ÂŁ1k but unfortunately due to cuts in government funding to mature students my course is now going to be ÂŁ3k, they offer an adult loan scheme now which is similar to student loans for uni fees but the interest rate is higher from what I understand. Basically I want to be in as little debt as possible but get the qualifications I need to be deemed competant enough to gain contractor status.

From what I've read it seems pretty much anyone who can prove they are competant to 17th Edition can get registration with NAPIT, NICEIC etc without a level 3 to enable them to self certify & notify works on domestics? Is this true? I know this is not the ideal route obviously a full completed apprenticeship would have been the better option & my intention is not to be appearing on Rogue Traders lol! Unfortunately, as many people have, I found it very difficult to get an apprenticeship so have managed to source a few bit jobs to give me some more hands on experience which i'm hoping will stand me in good stead alongside my quals to enable me to approach one of these bodies.

Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jo

Hi Jo, for starters - welcome and hello.

Second, congratulations on realising that competence doesn't just come from splashing the plastic; its born from a mix of both academic training and hard earned experience - and its the latter that's hard to come by.

Best bet is to find a sparks or two that will give you some time and experience whilst you try to get as much academic stuff as you can afford to. Don't expect an overnight wonder, it does take time and patience.

Its a shame you're so far away from my firm down here otherwise I'd have happily given you my time - an interested mature student is exactly the type of person that appeals to me.

Re: Hi from sunny Bradford, female part qualified spark looking for progression advic

Hello Welcome to the forum.
As with so many people you are finding the reality of completing the courses impractical to undertake.
If you can try to maintain the course level you were aiming for as this will allow you to gain access to commercial and site work once you have your ECS / JIB card, which you will not get with what you have at the moment.
You can start as SE domestic installer with what you have, the part P changes mean there is less requirement to be part of a scheme but registration is really a cost saver in the long term if you complete notifiable jobs.
Be competent, be safe.
Keep trying for the apprenticeship.

Good luck.

Re: Hi from sunny Bradford, female part qualified spark looking for progression advic

Thank you for both replies. Much appreciated :)

Hi, welcome and good luck!.

I second rockingit's sentiments!, any mature trainee that knows their strengths and weaknesses like you have displayed are worth their weight in gold!

Reply to Hi from sunny Bradford, female part qualified spark looking for progression advice in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net