Discuss Hi from the UK in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello folks, my name is Matt, I live in Cambridgeshire in the UK.
I started working for a scientific maintenance company in October as their new Storeman.
I was asked to look at the PAT testing equipment and familiarize myself..(a Seaward Pat Tester 250+).
I have done the Pass/certificate on the included dvd but am still concerned that I need further support..
I wanted to use my initiative and get as much info as possible before I commit to a sweep of the building with the tester.. and possibly foul up!
I have done some practice tests, basically, everything on my desk.. A PC, monitor, Oscope, and associated iec leads, and 2x 4bar mains adapters,
I have a few questions, regards different settings of device and how best to make records, I have the log book and wondered if anyone can tell me, if i have to stick to same ApplianceID as old records, as they used a different tester, or can I designate a new numbering structure to keep everything collated on a per-room basis? so if any one experienced would like to give me some advice, I would be most grateful.
Thanks for reading, all the best Matt

Well your employers have an obligation to ensure you are competant to carry out this work. The easiest way would be for you to go on a C&G course I think it's 2377.
[automerge]1579870693[/automerge]
If you’re on here asking these questions then it suggests the DVD is not enough. Would you be happy in court saying it was good enough? That's the worst case I know, but that's the possibility if someone gets a belt (or worse) and put’s in a claim. Your employer throwing you under the bus because you said you knew what you were doing. Put it in writing or email that you would like training using the equipment your employer has supplied you with to carry out these essential safety tests.

Last edited:
Well your employers have an obligation to ensure you are competant to carry out this work. The easiest way would be for you to go on a C&G course I think it's 2377.
Good afternoon David... thanks for prompt reply... so the basic DVD certifacate isnt enough then..? I hav edone some research whcih suggests someone needs to do a risk assesment... in the mean time i will look up the qualification you suggested.. should i do nothing for now then? thanks Matt

edit= this was the course i did, is it enough?

Hi - here’s a link to a training school and their relevant course. The City & Guilds qualification mentioned is regarded as sufficient to demonstrate competence to perform the work.

Good afternoon David... thanks for prompt reply... so the basic DVD certifacate isnt enough then..? I hav edone some research whcih suggests someone needs to do a risk assesment... in the mean time i will look up the qualification you suggested.. should i do nothing for now then? thanks Matt

edit= this was the course i did, is it enough?
First off,
Does you Employer have an Asset Manager, someone who decides when and at what frequency the items need testing? does your Employer provide you with the Code of Practice for In Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment? ISITEE or PAT as is commonly known.

You don't need to be qualified, just competent, I f you feel unsure of your competency get your Employer to send you on the one day course, it's a City and Guilds Qualification, although not needed it will or should broaden your understanding of this subject, one more thing to remember ISITEE is not confined to plug in appliances, stuff like Hand driers, Sanitary Disposal units in Ladies Washrooms, even though they are not plugged in they still come under the ISITEE remit, as do lots of other items.

Looks like you are being taken advantage of, ask for the course if you are unsure you will at least learn something, take your tester with you if they send you on the course, and get the instructor to let you use it in the Exam, good luck. Not sure of the C&Gs course number its a 4 digit number ending in 77 I seem to recall.

Last edited:
Many thanks for the replies folks....

Not sure my boss is taking advantage of me, it was my choice to do the dvd course in the box.. maybe i should have mentioned that first. apologies if any confusion.

the company is only small, 8 total staff, generally only 2 of us in the office most days. the machine engineers are usually at some uni or research centre fixing a machine.

its only a small unit, but then i appreciate that size has probably no bearing at all.

I havent been given any codes of practice, but having been a scaffolder for nearly 20 years, previous to this job, i am well aware of the Health and safety at work act 1974 and that there will be an act or similar to cover nearly everything within the work day.

I dont know if it helps or not, but i have been fixing pc/laptops and building them for years so im pretty technically minded...

I understand how to use the Seaward primetest250+ that we have, and that it has a couple of different settings within it for the different functions it has. (Riso250/500v and the Ileak 0.75mA/3.50mA) *
And that, they are for different class1/2 devices, i.e an IT device would use the lower of the settings to protect the internal circuitry of said tested device.
*(and therein lies another issue, as I cant make adjustments to the test for cable length for instance, i find that somethings just fail) :-(

I basically want to make sure that, A. My arse is covered and B. Theirs is too..
(in the hope that they see that as me being a team player and not an apple cart rocker)

Should I be asking my boss to read up on the current legislation? IS that my responsibility too, as the potential Pat tester?
I am aware of the changes to frequency of test etc, and that a risk assesment be completed to address frequency of test.
(That, I also believe is not within the compass of the person doing the tests.)

With regards to the dvd test ive done, and linked in the previous message, no one really answered, are those dvd tests worth anything at all or just for familiarity...?

Again, any help is gratefully recieved, I hope no one feels i havent taken on board what they have said. I will look into the courses myself also..

Many thanks folks :)
Matt

update- I have spoken to Tradeskills about further courses and as per their suggestion have downloaded pdf format of 'Code of Practice for in-service inspection and testing of electrical equipment' .. will give this a read through before i do anything.

Last edited:
Yes you should definitely have the official and current code of practice.

Hi folks.... Really could do with some advice here... I'm feeling this job going by the way side pretty quickly... I lack a bit of confidence for someone who's 42 this year, however, I was asked by my boss if I was gonna do some pat testing, at which point I broached the subject of the CnG 2377-22 course and that I'd feel better if I'd done that,. He flew off the handle and said 'Leave it then, I'll do the testing, think of something else you can do'. I felt a bit shitty after that. I spent a bit of time with one of the engineers as he was working in the unit next door.. some time later the boss comes in and asks me for a chat, leads me off into his workshop telling me on the way, the money their paying me they could get a test guy in for a quid an item.... Was pretty close to saying f£&king why don't you ... But I bit my lip.. in his workshop out of the way he informs me, I'm competent and that health and safety isn't my concern...... Now, having worked on building sites as a scaffy for many years, I'm well aware of the health n safety at work act74.. which basically states, everyone is responsible for the health and safety of themselves and others... I assume that is the same in any job in the UK...? In any case, I need a job so I start doing some tests as thorough as I can. Come to log stuff in the book and it asks for calibration date, which I don't have either.. so wtf am I doin
[automerge]1580379740[/automerge]
I didn't think I was an idiot but if someone needs to put me straight... Feel free.. feeling a bit miffed...

There's only one idiot involved in the conversation you had with your boss, and it's not you. You've had the fact from us and you alude to the knowlege of the HS@W act so you need to make a decission on where you take this. Maybe ask him to put in wrighting that he deams you competant to carry out these tests. Do you have work emails ? If so email him asking to clear up trining issue.

Hi folks.... Really could do with some advice here... I'm feeling this job going by the way side pretty quickly... I lack a bit of confidence for someone who's 42 this year, however, I was asked by my boss if I was gonna do some pat testing, at which point I broached the subject of the CnG 2377-22 course and that I'd feel better if I'd done that,. He flew off the handle and said 'Leave it then, I'll do the testing, think of something else you can do'. I felt a bit shitty after that. I spent a bit of time with one of the engineers as he was working in the unit next door.. some time later the boss comes in and asks me for a chat, leads me off into his workshop telling me on the way, the money their paying me they could get a test guy in for a quid an item.... Was pretty close to saying f£&king why don't you ... But I bit my lip.. in his workshop out of the way he informs me, I'm competent and that health and safety isn't my concern...... Now, having worked on building sites as a scaffy for many years, I'm well aware of the health n safety at work act74.. which basically states, everyone is responsible for the health and safety of themselves and others... I assume that is the same in any job in the UK...? In any case, I need a job so I start doing some tests as thorough as I can. Come to log stuff in the book and it asks for calibration date, which I don't have either.. so wtf am I doin
[automerge]1580379740[/automerge]
I didn't think I was an idiot but if someone needs to put me straight... Feel free.. feeling a bit miffed...
Is it your Meter or the firms? if you don't have a calibration date then enter as not known or not available, if you are back on speaking terms with your Boss, ask him if he can provide a calibration certificate, it pointless doing these without a valid calibrated tester, Oh and you just need to be competent to test these items qualifications are nice to have but not a necessity.

Thanks guys, he's just come in this morning all chipper. I'll broach the subject of calibration. It's their tester not mine. A seaward primetest 250+. I've done about 20items so far, nothing too hairy, a few soldering irons n a hot air rework, n some kitchen gear, a few PSU,s.. I guess I'll have to do them all again now?

In my opinion this is essential, and it is disappointing that they don't have it.
In all fairness I started my own pc repair business just after last recession as had no scaffolding work. Then that came back so I put my business on the back burner, however now, I've started doing some invoice work for that. Would probably be in my best interest to buy my own copy and be done with it, at least I have it for my own private concern. But I agree it's a bit sad they been like this.. I was out of work most of last year due to the stress of two scaffolding accidents in 2018.. thought I'd suddenly found something good in October when this started... Now I've got no finger nails left again... I appreciate no one said life would be easy but Christ... Wish someone would throw me a bone.. really appreciate all your help. Thank you. ?

Reply to Hi from the UK in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net