Discuss High bay lighting installation help!!! in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Munkey

-
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Wonder if anyone can give any advice over an installation Of high bay plasma lights for a large workshop.
I must admit I have never done an installation like this before but love a challenge.
Any advice on wiring techniques and cable type etc would be much appreciated.

The installation is as follows;

15 x 400 watt plasma high bays mounted 10 metres in a new build workshop
plenty of purlins to attach to and a switch needed for each individual light.

I had thought about running an individual 3 core flex through trunking and then a basket and just splitting off to feed 5 rows of 3. It means a lot of cable but it is quick and no joints up top.

Any thoughts????????

This type of job requires you to work backwards, seek tech' advice from MCB manufacturers regarding fittings and how many will be allowed to run a chosen size mcb, this will then let you design the install as you would normally do, have you any info on the fittings as im unfamiliar with you fitting or terminology for it, as i might be able to give rough guide, plus how are you switching.... contactors?.. or as i think you imply a seperate wire all the way from switch to fitting so 15sw' ways.

Last edited:
Hi Darkwood,

Thanks for the quick reply.

The units are plasma electrodeless fittings that have a soft start. 0.5 A start and then warm up to 1.7 A. My boss wants individual switching, so I was going to have 3 lights on a 10 A breaker and hence 5 breakers.

Im planning on 1.5mm PVC but people have suggested singles through conduit?

Never tackled an install like this so dont know which way to go.

Any help is grateful.

Not heard of these lights before, do you have a link to manufacturer, do alot of warehouse stuff but normally with HQIs.With all that switching, may be best using trunking and singles, you can use a quick release lamp connecter and flex to the lamp itself. Is it logical to have switching at the singular level, the grid poanel alone full of switches will be uber expensive. Be careful is its a three phase supply ending up with 400V in the switch box, it does happen but i plan the job so i ensure multiple breakers are on the same phase.

The units are from ceravision.

Alvara 400 plasma induction.

I was planning on running a three phase supply to balance the lighting across.
What would be the normal install method for something like this? I know it's a lot of 3 core cables but it would be an easy install on the ground.

Id first establish brand of mcb, then ring tech explaining fittings as they dont list induction in their tech books, they will tell you how many you can have on each mcb for a 10amp.... its probably less than you think but i cant confirm because i dont know the start-up characteristics of said fitting although i know what you mean now.. as you've put 'Induction Lighting'.
From their answer you then design backwards length of run etc etc to get cable size and because your boss wants individual switching id just balance the bank of switches over the phases and as you said run appropriate cable for the installation conditions to each fitting. Id use 20amp switches though, normal set up for me would be switching banks of lighting on via contactors but not an option for you here.

Last edited:
Sorry dark wood I don't think I'm following.

The mcb,s will be ABB C10's.
The manufacturer has said that there is a start up of only .5A and as they warm up they reach full power at 1.7 A.
Does this not mean I can run 3 units from 1 C10?

Thanks

Its not the start up current you have to worry about its the spike as the control gear is energised, the mcb will only be able to handle a certain no' striking at once so this is the limiting factor when loading up mcb with inductive loads, its a mistake many get wrong but again inductive lighting isnt widely used yet in UK but its starting to catch on so knowledge of it striking characteristics is limited. I believe these fitting work with 2 electro-magnets around a gas filled tube so their is gonna be a spike associated with powering these up.

Now im starting to get it!!

I had suggested some 200watt led,s but these plasma units seem to be very efficient.

Thank you very much for your help.

Just think about the control gear is effectively a near short circuit until the magnetic field build up, its the instant the ballast/choke transformer etc is energised that causes a large current spike, the values you gave are the current demands after the ballast has settled and the fitting is warming up to full brightness... it would also apply to LED lights too as these have dc drivers within which again have an inrush to consider.

Finally to express what i mean with a know value :-
6amp mcb with only be able to handle 400w of metal hallide loading.
10amp mcb will do 1000w of the same which is far lower than you would expect.
This varies with different types of inductive loads including motors, transformers as well as various lighting.

That's a very simple way of putting it, and makes perfect sense now.

When I asked the manufacturer for all and any relative information, all their technical people could advise was this 0.5A start up. What would a 'soft start' on a light fitting encorporate? Would it regulate voltage to limit the starting current or am i barking up the wrong tree?

If I don't/can't get the details from the manufacturers, what would you recommend? Or can I calculate?

Glad I joined this forum now, so far it has been very helpfull!

I have not used this make before but i have refitted several high bay lights with Ventura lighting systems induction lamps and they work very well. The Ventura ones can be dimmed to 10% to help with energy savin

How are you?
We have many different type lights from 30W to 200W,
if you are interested in it,
Then we will offer more details and best price to you,
looking forward to hear from you soon,
Best Regards,
Rose

Reply to High bay lighting installation help!!! in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net