Discuss How add lighting spur? Nuteral is loop at the fitting and live is looped at the switch. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Joe Craic

DIY
Reaction score
How is addtionl light spur added spur in the following situation? Nuteral is looped at the fitting and live is looped at the switch. Theres two netural and one switched live at the light fitting, with all live and switched live at the switch.

There has to be a spot of rewiring in this situation. It’s a common way of wiring.

Is it regular twin and earth or singles in conduit?

Access above the switch?

Where do you need the feed to come from? Light or switch?

It’s a job of pulling in an extra conductor… whether that’s a twin pulling in a 3 core, or a single pulling in 2x.

There has to be a spot of rewiring in this situation. It’s a common way of wiring.

Is it regular twin and earth or singles in conduit?

Access above the switch?

Where do you need the feed to come from? Light or switch?

It’s a job of pulling in an extra conductor… whether that’s a twin pulling in a 3 core, or a single pulling in 2x.
Seems to be singles in conduit, would like to add soffit downlights with a dimmer switch, so feed from switch would probably be better as dimmer will be located next existing light switch, hopefully.
Just not sure how to get a netural from fixing to dimmer switch.

Conduit is tricky in a house… apart from the light, and the switch, there may be other access boxes so you can’t just pull a wire and expect it to pull smoothly, taking other cables with it.

There’s likely a central square box, maybe 150mm or bigger where all the conduits meet up.

Or, they’ve managed to run straight between all the lights, with a drop down to each room switch. You might not see all the cables at the light, as they pass through the box above.

Edit. I see there’s another thread about taking power for the lights from the heating. Have you given up on that idea?

Conduit is tricky in a house… apart from the light, and the switch, there may be other access boxes so you can’t just pull a wire and expect it to pull smoothly, taking other cables with it.

There’s likely a central square box, maybe 150mm or bigger where all the conduits meet up.

Or, they’ve managed to run straight between all the lights, with a drop down to each room switch. You might not see all the cables at the light, as they pass through the box above.

Edit. I see there’s another thread about taking power for the lights from the heating. Have you given up on that idea?
I would still prefer to take power from the heating as its all new cabling done a few years ago, but wasn't sure if it would cause any issues with the heating side of things, have you any thoughts on that method?

I think someone said it was ok on the other thread, and i agree.

The circuit for the heating is simply a radial circuit. You can supply whatever you want from it as long as the total load is suitable for the cable and the overcurrent protection device in the consumer unit.

Could be a lot easier than tapping into the lighting circuit.

Reactions: DPG
The circuit for the heating is simply a radial circuit. You can supply whatever you want from it as long as the total load is suitable for the cable and the overcurrent protection device in the consumer unit.
And you amend the labelling at the CU, adding 'lights' alongside 'heating'.

Reply to How add lighting spur? Nuteral is loop at the fitting and live is looped at the switch. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net