Discuss how do these cowboys get away with it in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

In a previous life I was on a contract with British Gas which covered all aspects of Gas, Electric, Water, Drains, all white goods etc at a cost of over £55 per month. I suppose we had our money's worth out of them over the years but I started to question the knowledge of a few of their engineers. We developed a fault on our heating system and it took 15 :whatchutalkingabout visits from them to find the fault. Geordie knew straight away what the problem was when I explained it to him, and that was over the phone without him seeing it!

In a previous life I was on a contract with British Gas which covered all aspects of Gas, Electric, Water, Drains, all white goods etc at a cost of over £55 per month. I suppose we had our money's worth out of them over the years but I started to question the knowledge of a few of their engineers. We developed a fault on our heating system and it took 15 :whatchutalkingabout visits from them to find the fault. Geordie knew straight away what the problem was when I explained it to him, and that was over the phone without him seeing it!

Aye he had been in an swiped the boiler.

Aye well ....... sometimes I just get lucky pet .....

......... like I did the day I met you :wub:

:rofl:

Hello
When to price job today bathroom lighting and fan looked at job no problem. Asked customer where cu was in brand new kitchen i asked who done electrics got told kitchen fitter arranged electrician. Looked at cu 16th board looked again the busbar hadnt been cut !!! so it was attached to main isolator and rcd. Explained to customer the problem and tested rcd to show her it would not operate due to how the busbar had been fitted and the dangers due to this she said electrician doing kitchen never said anything . Asked if he had left any paperwork or certs and if any testing had been done oh what a suprise nothing. The new cables in cu so called electrician had put in were that long you could have put a exra rfc and no bonding to water in kitchen. Explained part p to her and what sould have been done telling her hope the work he has done is ok as it may involve dismantaling her lovely new kitchen .Advised her to get kithen fitter back and ask him why no testing was done and no certs issued and if electrician was qualified and registered to do this work.
whats `part p` got to do with it?....some of the worst crap you could witness has been done by `part p qualified` `electricians`....or the part p course brigade....

There needs to be tv/radio adverts like they do for Corgi (gas) to make sure customers ask for a Part P certified spark. Ohhhh the dangers are equal to (if not worse) than gas

I am a plumber and to be honest you sparky's need 1 governing body instead of the several different ones, it is so hard to look up each electrician, then you could all be governed and promoted by that company

- - - Updated - - -

I am a plumber and to be honest you sparky's need 1 governing body instead of the several different ones, it is so hard to look up each electrician, then you could all be governed and promoted by that company

We have been saying the very same thing for a long time...."Electric safe", says it all.

There needs to be tv/radio adverts like they do for Corgi (gas) to make sure customers ask for a Part P certified spark. Ohhhh the dangers are equal to (if not worse) than gas

I disagree.

When I was working I was qualified to and worked with BOTH electricity and gas in domestic & small commercial properties, and trust me on this: if I made a mistake on the electric side of things I could kill someone and / or set fire to a building, but if I got it wrong with gas, I could literally demolish a whole terrace and kill not only the occupants of those properties, but passers-by in the street outside.

I disagree.

When I was working I was qualified to and worked with BOTH electricity and gas in domestic & small commercial properties, and trust me on this: if I made a mistake on the electric side of things I could kill someone and / or set fire to a building, but if I got it wrong with gas, I could literally demolish a whole terrace and kill not only the occupants of those properties, but passers-by in the street outside.

Also to note electric faults usually have done the damage before been discovered but gas has an odour introduced to it that everyone knows... the casualty rate from gas explosions in domestic is miniscule compared to electrical deaths and injuries, the explosion risk gas has attached to and the sheer scale of damage it causes has meant the industry saw early safety reg's brought in but the only time a shake up of the electrical industry saw was when a MP lost his daughter due to out of zone cables in the kitchen which killed her..... its not what you know its who you know and welcome the highly flawed Part P that was thus introduced.

Also to note electric faults usually have done the damage before been discovered but gas has an odour introduced to it that everyone knows... the casualty rate from gas explosions in domestic is miniscule compared to electrical deaths and injuries, the explosion risk gas has attached to and the sheer scale of damage it causes has meant the industry saw early safety reg's brought in but the only time a shake up of the electrical industry saw was when a MP lost his daughter due to out of zone cables in the kitchen which killed her..... its not what you know its who you know and welcome the highly flawed Part P that was thus introduced.

I can make a bigger bang than you can .. so there !! nernernenerner :prrr:

:wink_smile:

When was the last time you saw a TV ad for Corgi/Gassafe? I've never seen one.
I've seen lots from BG pushing their "services" but never one from Corgi/Gassafe

Why this has beed branded as part P is beyond me. Should have been Electrical Safety Certificationd at Home or something like that. Majority of the public doesn't know what a building regulation is, not to mention a part P. Electricla Safety sounds more dramatic, bit like Gas Safety.

The the very last thing you want to govern the Electrical Industry, is a another ''Private Company''. It needs to be at the very least a sudo government affair with Real Teeth, and with Real minimum Standards. All private company enterprises will only operate on a maximum profit for minimum input/outgoings...

When was the last time you saw a TV ad for Corgi/Gassafe? I've never seen one.
I've seen lots from BG pushing their "services" but never one from Corgi/Gassafe

Did you know that this week is 'Gas Safety Week' and is being promoted nationally by Gas Safe?

I thought not!

Reply to how do these cowboys get away with it in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net