Discuss How does my fellow sparky wire circuits in trunking? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wee_ron

When wiring a circuit using singles in steel trunking (eg. 200x200) I have always used insulation to tape up the ends of the cables together and pulled the cables off the drum (the length may vary depending on the length of the run). I would then tape the end of the cables around a fixed object and proceed to put a ring of tape around the cables (about 1m between) to told them neatly together. When the installation is going down conduit bushed through the trunking, the tape has to be removed from the cables that will be in the conduit.

The majority of sparks that I have came across all do the same. Apart from one, who has done a lot of work in England. My questions are these:

1. Does other sparks around the UK do this, or is it just in NI?
  2. What are the pros and cons of taping the circuit up?
  3. Which method do you use when wiring circuits in trunking?
I hope I have explained this clearly....

i was taught to tape cables of individual circuits every 4-6ft, reason being that in the future, any spark fault finding or testing would know at a glance which L,N,CPC, went with which in a trunking full of cables.

I would also tape together all the conductors of a circuit in trunking and as you have said remove tape when entering conduit. Just to go a step further I use the correct coloured tape for the phase that the circuit will be connected to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Sintra, not relevant here, but i think you've hit the nail on my earth post, high res' of rcd.

Just to go a step further I use the correct coloured tape for the phase that the circuit will be connected to. .

Yeah this is a good idea I would think. Obviously if the correct tape is available but it might not always be about lol.

What is the reason we take the tape off for entering conduit??

i was taught to tape cables of individual circuits every 4-6ft, reason being that in the future, any spark fault finding or testing would know at a glance which L,N,CPC, went with which in a trunking full of cables.
I disagree. What if you have to withdraw a cable from the conduit. It would mean pulling the whole lot out and then having to remove all that tape.

Ken Intra said remove tape for conduit bitsv it also stools cables boggling or jamming cos theyr different lengths

I would also tape together all the conductors of a circuit in trunking and as you have said remove tape when entering conduit. Just to go a step further I use the correct coloured tape for the phase that the circuit will be connected to.

I think this is fine and do the exact same thing myself - No need to worry about heat dissipation when doing this either, as the BRB states that when wiring into trunking, you should leave at least 45% capacity of the trunking. Although in the real world this is rarely the case.

Sintra, not relevant here, but i think you've hit the nail on my earth post, high res' of rcd.

Happy days Tel let's hope so.

i tape them together in the trunking just before they enter board, and label tape, and tape them at corners, but other than that i dont. on most of the jobs im on, id be moaned at for taking too long, and wasting tape lol.
good idea though.

I hate adding new sockets to rings that have been taped, have to take all the bloody lid off :mad: > I can understand on single items of current using equipment.

Ken Intra said remove tape for conduit bitsv it also stools cables boggling or jamming cos theyr different lengths
Yea but if the conduit is bushed into trunking then the part of the installation that is in the trunking will be taped up. So if a leg has to be removed then all the tape will have to be removed in the trunking.

Also when the circuits are taped up and then pulled through the trunking if there is any bushes, or in my case hooks to hang light fittings on, in the trunking then the tape tends to get snagged on these. Also with the time factor involved, is it really beneficial to tape up circuits in trunking?

I only tape up circuits in trunking if the runs are short, its too time consuming on long runs, if its a new install though I put wood soldiers on all the internal angles so the circuits fit nicely to the back of the trunking, it can be a git deciding which hammer to use to fit those internal covers when the cables have cut the corner.

it can be a git deciding which hammer to use to fit those internal covers when the cables have cut the corner.

Oh don't know a 2lb lump hammer and a nice bit of 2' x 1' can't fit most trunking lid I find...................;)

Amazing how it as changed I was taught you never ever tap circuits in trunking, mainly if you ever want to remove a single conductor, and it means removing all the lid, but over the years I do now tape them.

Though have to admit Sintra is a snazzy way of taping the phase colours, I'm too tight for that and use any.

Reply to How does my fellow sparky wire circuits in trunking? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net