Discuss How to bypass control board in landscaping transformer in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

kvn12345

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a low voltage landscaping transformer. The control board is bad so it cannot be turned on. I’d like to bypass the controller and connect the wires directly to the transformer itself (the toroidal). However, when I open it, in I see the white (neutral) and black (hot) wires input to the board, but there are 2 red wires go from the board into the toroidal. Then, 2 black wires go from toroidal to the 2 terminals for connecting to the lights. My question is how can I connect the neutral (white) and hot (black) inputs directly to the toroidal?

Attachments

• 274208A8-D5D5-4323-AB20-1C4947335EAC.jpeg
    605.9 KB · Views: 15
Can you establish from looking at the other side of the circuit board, if the incoming mains white neutral is connected to the adjacent red to the transformer? If so that's one connection sorted.
Next, if you can find the pin connections of that Songle relay on the web, you could establish if the incoming mains black hot goes to a relay contact that when energised connects to the other red to the transformer. If so - sorted!

Or you can try the gung-ho approach, connect the mains to the two red wires from the transformer, stand well back and turn it on, but I wouldn't recommend it. I suggest we need to know what the board is doing first 🤔

Regarding physically connecting the wires, you could get a couple of blade splice connectors to join the spade terminations you have. But for mains I would suggest something more robust, such as cutting off those spades, stripping the wires and using Wago connectors.

Last edited:
Can you establish from looking at the other side of the circuit board, if the incoming mains white neutral is connected to the adjacent red to the transformer? If so that's one connection sorted.
Next, if you can find the pin connections of that Songle relay on the web, you could establish if the incoming mains black hot goes to a relay contact that when energised connects to the other red to the transformer. If so - sorted!

Or you can try the gung-ho approach, connect the mains to the two red wires from the transformer, stand well back and turn it on, but I wouldn't recommend it. I suggest we need to know what the board is doing first 🤔

Regarding physically connecting the wires, you could get a couple of blade splice connectors to join the spade terminations you have. But for mains I would suggest something more robust, such as cutting off those spades, stripping the wires and using Wago connectors.
So the back of the board show the white neutral connect to the incoming hot (black) . In the picture, top right corner. Does that make sense?

Attachments

• C9F0F36D-BE29-4555-BEC7-BC4CA184FC81.jpeg
    495.9 KB · Views: 6
So the back of the board show the white neutral connect to the incoming hot (black) . In the picture, top right corner. Does that make sense?
No. Connecting white to black is not what I see, and not a good idea!!
Top left is where the white attaches to the spade terminal, which appears to be linked to the adjacent spade terminal via an inner layer, and hence to the transformer red.

Given this is a multilayer board, one can't easily see if or how the black hot connects to the relay.

Do you have a multimeter to buzz out if the mains hot black goes to the relay pins?

Can you tell us what the module was intended to do?

Reply to How to bypass control board in landscaping transformer in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net