Discuss How to open this holder? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I just cannot seem to "twist" this to open it and replace it with a new one. There does not seem to be any locks or screws holding it. The cord hold is unscrewed, so it is not that holding it.

holder.jpg

inside.jpg

Sparks tool kit, screwdriver and hammer, you've exhausted half the tool options.

In other words tw4t it, after safe isomolation.

If you look at the outer edge of the metal ring that the build lugs fit in to Ullapool see a bit of the metal the ring is made of where a bit of it sticks out and it grabs against steps in the plastic bit ull need to bend it inwards to stop it gripping against the outer bit

If you look at the outer edge of the metal ring that the build lugs fit in to Ullapool see a bit of the metal the ring is made of where a bit of it sticks out and it grabs against steps in the plastic bit ull need to bend it inwards to stop it gripping against the outer bit

sorry but in my photo in the first post, I cannot see the "bit" that sticks out.

Shouldn't message when drinking
Wizzard if you look in the inner of the metal ring ull see the bit that's bent outwards and if get a small driver down outer of metal circular bit and bend it inwards it will then unscrew done loads mate promise

My that's a big one

That lampholder is not suitable for use in the light fitting the OP is asking about, fitting that as a replacement will leave exposed live terminals in the fitting. It needs to be replaced with the same type of lampholder as is already in there.

Many thanks will try it out. Is this a common - to "fuse" it at the production time?

It's not fused tigether, the lampholder is screwed together and a little metal tab locks it a bit like a ratchet mechanism. It is possible to get them apart again if you can get to the metal tab and push it back, but it's really not worth the effort if you're replacing the lampholder anyway.

It's not fused tigether, the lampholder is screwed together and a little metal tab locks it a bit like a ratchet mechanism. It is possible to get them apart again if you can get to the metal tab and push it back, but it's really not worth the effort if you're replacing the lampholder anyway.

Will try and open it as Gary suggested. If not, brute force. I will need to take the lamp off the wall - I have 8 of these! I am going to replace these with E27 - better daylight colour choice. Bayonet LED does not fit in the lamp as the neck of the holder restricts it.

Reply to How to open this holder? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net