Discuss How to tell if a metal halide fitting is pulse or probe start? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

UkSteve

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, I recently bought a metal halide fitting but I have no idea how to tell if its a pulse or probe start unit.

I have what I believe are both types of bulb and the fitting will start both, would that indicate its a pulse start?

With the bulb which I believe is a pulse start bulb (has just a single electrode at each end of the bulb and no other extra bits) the unit takes about 30-40 seconds to do anything, no indication that its starting up at all and then suddenly it comes on and starts to warm up.

the light produced is a relatively flicker free stable output.

the bulb which I believe is a probe start ( has the main electrodes at each end but the end nearest the cap has a second electrode with what appears to be a resistor in line on it) starts instantaneously as soon as power is applied and also warms faster than the other but has a noticeably higher flicker too the light cast on the wall although this does diminish a bit when its at full working temp, it never goes away fully.

my understanding is that using probe start lamps in fittings designed for pulse will shorten bulb life but more importantly put strain on the ballast and can kill them.

can anyone help me identify what type of system the fitting is running please, I can't find any information online about this particular unit :(

thanks, Steve.

Attachments

• DSC_0795-960x540.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC_0799-960x540.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC_0796-960x540.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC_0800-960x540.JPG
    174.9 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC_0801-960x540.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 9
Well the fitting has an igniter so you should be using the lamp without one.
The lamp with a igniter should have an I in in a triangle on it.
Thanks for your reply.

Nether of the bulbs have any symbols on them?
When you say about it having an ignitor, does that mean it's a pulse start?
Steve.

Attachments

• DSC_0803-540x960.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC_0804-540x960.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 9
yes - the 803 pic

When you day the 803 pic, that's the bulb I think is a probe start, are you saying use or don't use that one, the 804 pic is what I think is a pulse bulb?

Is it normal for a pulse fitting to do nothing at first when power is applied and to take a fairly significant time to strike?

Steve

Use the 804, it should glow it bit to start

Ok, so I was right in identifying the pulse start bulb then.

It fires up in my fitting and the light with that bulb is more stable and flicker free the the probe bulb but it takes anywhere up to a minute before it turns on when power is applied, like no activity at all other than you can hear the ballast humming then you hear the ignitor kick in after some time and the bulb bursts into life.

Then during the first 30 seconds of warm up the bulb pulses 2 or 3 times and you can hear the igniter doing that.

Is that behaviour normal for a pulse start? With the probe bulb it's an instantaneous start as soon as power is applied, I won't be using that bulb as I know it's the wrong type but I would have thought the pulse bulb should start similarly fast?

Reply to How to tell if a metal halide fitting is pulse or probe start? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net