Discuss I cannot use google chrome or internet explorer to type messages for the forum in the ElectriciansForums.net News and Updates area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
"Hello All",

As We know Internet Explorer is not recommended for accessing the Forum and being able to type messages - there are reasons why it does not work correctly on here and this was explained to Me some time ago by the Owner / Dan in a post about that so I have been using Google Chrome when I want to type messages on here.

Yesterday / last Night I had a lot of trouble typing some of my messages / replies using Google Chrome - the problem exhibited itself as if my Wireless Keyboard keys were only working intermittently - and randomly intermittently at that.

I checked by writing some Emails [Internet Explorer / Outlook] it was not my Keyboard.

This problem was so bad that the only way I could type messages at that time was to type a line and then go back and put in the many missing letters - those of You who know the amount of detail that I usually put into my messages will know what a `Pain` this process would entail.

It was definitely taking at least 3 times the amount of time to type last nights messages - and I am sure that I will have missed some `Typo`s`.

I still cannot type on here Today using Google Chrome - I have checked whether Google Chrome seems to be working O.K. - I can use it to access my Email Accounts and type correctly and when accessing the Internet it seems O.K. if a little slow Today.

I have now had to Download and Install the Opera Browser which I think is affiliated with Google Chrome [?] in order to use the Forum / be able to Type messages on here without any problems.

Just as an aside - I tried Downloading `Firefox` but Windows 7 / my Computer would not allow Me to Open / Install it because it had a File type ending in:
.1[1] [possibly just .1 ?] - I could not find ANY program to Open this with and I could not attribute a Default setting to it as it was not listed in the `Assign Default settings` list.

I wondered if this Google Chrome / typing problem is a recent `Known problem` amongst other Members ?

I am also sending this as a Private message to Dan as He has previously asked to be informed about this type of problem.

I would welcome any replies about this.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:
I have now had to Download and Install the Opera Browser which I think is affiliated with Google Chrome......

Hi Chris. I'd like to set the record straight first with the Opera statement if I may. Opera is not affiliated to Chrome, it's a thoroughbred browser. I'd go so far as saying it's the browser of champions, a 'real mans' browser of superior pedigree. It sets the benchmark that other lesser browsers (of which there are many) can only aspire to.

Seriously, I'm sorry to hear about your forum browser problems, I know there's several known bugs with some of the more recent Internet Explorer releases and updates but it's the first problem like this I've heard about with Chrome. You may have gathered I'm an avid Opera fanboy and I haven't experienced any issues with it.

I've made a report in the staffroom for Dan to highlight your plight. Maybe if anyone else has Google Chrome functionality issues They can post here as well.

Thanks.

Hi Chris. I'd like to set the record straight first with the Opera statement if I may. Opera is not affiliated to Chrome, it's a thoroughbred browser. I'd go so far as saying it's the browser of champions, a 'real mans' browser of superior pedigree. It sets the benchmark that other lesser browsers (of which there are many) can only aspire to.

Seriously, I'm sorry to hear about your forum browser problems, I know there's several known bugs with some of the more recent Internet Explorer releases and updates but it's the first problem like this I've heard about with Chrome. You may have gathered I'm an avid Opera fanboy and I haven't experienced any issues with it.

I've made a report in the staffroom for Dan to highlight your plight. Maybe if anyone else has Google Chrome functionality issues They can post here as well.

Thanks.

"Hello Marvo",

Thanks for the information about the Opera browser - the reason why I mentioned that I thought it was `affiliated` to Google Chrome is that when I downloaded it the `Default search engine` was Google - this displayed almost immediately with an option to select it as the Default.

Thinking about this after reading your comments obviously there has to be a `Search Engine` [please excuse Me if this terminology is wrong - I am no expert on Computing] so Google would be one of the top choices.

I did put a question mark adjacent my comment - [?] - so I was not actually stating that Opera IS affiliated to Google / Google Chrome.

I have had a couple of problems on the Forum before using Google Chrome but not actually a problem with typing messages - it was with losing the message when submitting them - because of that I always try to remember to Copy my typed messages before the act of submitting them so that I can Paste them again if the Forum becomes unresponsive / locks up losing my message.

When I posted this thread I was very sceptical that many Members would see it in this section of the Forum - ?

As I stated in my original post I did send a Copy of my message to Dan within a Private message.

Thanks again for your reply.

Regards,

Chris

Thanks.

a slight digression, sorry, folks, but i have a problem with opera. not on the forum. a lot of youtube videos come up with missing plug-in. download adobe flash player, but opera won't allow it. any ideas, please, marvo?

Can tell me are you using Windows and is it a 32 or 64 bit installation? I'll find you a direct link the right install package.

windows vista business N. SP1, 32 bit. thanks, marvo.

Adobe - Install Adobe Flash Player

that's what i get, marvo. there's no option to install.

"Hello telectrix",

I am definitely NOT an Expert in `Computing` but I thought that Adobe Flash Player was something that is installed on your Computer - not installed specifically into a Browser such as Opera or Google Chrome - I thought that the Browser would access Adobe when required ?

You can see from my lack of the correct Computing terminology that I am no expert - but I hope You now what I mean.

Regards,

Chris

Adobe flash player usually comes as a separate browser plug-in although there may be browser installer packages that it comes bundled with.

Try this one Tel, use the button that looks like this to download it untitled2.jpg

Adobe flash player usually comes as a separate browser plug-in although there may be browser installer packages that it comes bundled with.

Try this one Tel, use the button that looks like this to download it View attachment 21583

"Hello again Marvo",

Thanks for the information.

I had thought that Adobe Flash Player was a program that was installed `On` the Computer because when I downloaded it again and tried to install it on Google Chrome some time ago I received the message `Adobe Flash Player is already installed on your Computer` - `Do You want to replace it ?` - words to that effect.

And when I saw it being referred to again by You a couple of Days ago in relation to the Opera browser I tried this again with the same result - a message basically informing Me that `You already have this installed on your Computer` [same message wording as above].

These examples are why I thought what I asked in my earlier message.

I do not have enough Computer knowledge to work out any reason why it seems that my Computer just seems to need / allow one Download / Copy of Adobe Flash Player - ?

Thanks again.

Regards,

Chris

You do get a full version of Adobe Flash (used to be Macromedia Flash) that allows you to make your own flash animations etc, this program is only useful to website or maybe game developers. The flash player is the browser plug-in the allows these animations to be viewed when they appear on websites or in flash type games etc.

"Hello again Marvo",

Thanks for the information.

I had thought that Adobe Flash Player was a program that was installed `On` the Computer because when I downloaded it again and tried to install it on Google Chrome some time ago I received the message `Adobe Flash Player is already installed on your Computer` - `Do You want to replace it ?` - words to that effect.

And when I saw it being referred to again by You a couple of Days ago in relation to the Opera browser I tried this again with the same result - a message basically informing Me that `You already have this installed on your Computer` [same message wording as above].

These examples are why I thought what I asked in my earlier message.

I do not have enough Computer knowledge to work out any reason why it seems that my Computer just seems to need / allow one Download / Copy of Adobe Flash Player - ?

Thanks again.

Regards,

Chris

Chris .... you'll find most faulty computers just need a good Drop Test. ;)

Reply to I cannot use google chrome or internet explorer to type messages for the forum in the ElectriciansForums.net News and Updates area at ElectriciansForums.net