Discuss I don’t normally get excited – but it’s a brushless motor: Makita Jigsaw in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Q

QikMik

I’ll be getting one before the month is out (when customers pay their bills!) hopefully then the “50% longer run time per battery charge” that Makita are claiming is true and my batteries last more than 20 mins lol.

DJV182Z.png

**link removed**

Anyone got one? Any good?

Last edited by a moderator:
Its daft changing the interface for batteries to tools each time they bring a new "number" out. They should just be left backwardly compatible. Anything else is, like, stoopid.

It they do I would ask the man that decided, " is it because you iz fik?"

Ah (Amp hours), get your Units right Man, UNITS!!! :)
I'm a bit of a pedant about that sort of thing.
We manufacture electrical control panels and I try to make sure that anything that goes out to a customer is accurate. kW, not Kw, kVA,etc., but I routinely get quotes in from transformer manufacturers where they get it wrong.
Today 480v instead of 480V. 670 amps instead of 670A.

As I'm sure, like many others here, I post on other forums. Frequently there is confusion between energy and power. For people not in the electrical field that's possibly understandable.

But this is an electrical forum. We ought to be able to get the units right, right?

Back to the brushless motor thing. We make brushless motors. These are mainly for the machine tools industry. High speed capability and low inertia to power ratio is why they are used for that application - 10,000 rpm to zero in half a second to within +/- half a degree position accuracy.

The other attribute is their very high efficiency - better than 97%. That's where the longer battery life comes in. But cost may be an issue. The magnets are expensive.

I've just dumped all my Makita cordless stuff and bought Bosch. I got sick of the batteries only lasting a few months. For over 15 years I've been a Makita fan but their 18V Lithium batteries have given us no end of problems.

I've just dumped all my Makita cordless stuff and bought Bosch. I got sick of the batteries only lasting a few months. For over 15 years I've been a Makita fan but their 18V Lithium batteries have given us no end of problems.
What have you been doing to them lol, I have some that are 18 months old and they have worked hard and are still going strong, your not suppose to connect them to a 3 phase supply :grin:

They get very light use with us, we don't usually get involved in heavy installation work, mostly benchtop panel assembly stuff. Not sure what the problem is, they just don't hold charge after a while and our local agents have refused to replace them under warranty even though some are less than 6 months old. You can't do anything wrong with the charging because the charger is intelligent. I can also get the Bosch 4Ah 18v batteries at two thirds of the price of the Makita 2Ah so I've just bought the Bosch grinder, normal drill and the SDS impact drill.

They get very light use with us, we don't usually get involved in heavy installation work, mostly benchtop panel assembly stuff. Not sure what the problem is, they just don't hold charge after a while and our local agents have refused to replace them under warranty even though some are less than 6 months old. You can't do anything wrong with the charging because the charger is intelligent. I can also get the Bosch 4Ah 18v batteries at two thirds of the price of the Makita 2Ah so I've just bought the Bosch grinder, normal drill and the SDS impact drill.
marvo are you talking about the lct kit?

because the stuff everyone over hear uses is the lxt kit.

it's either 1.5ah but normally 4ah on new gear (some older gear with 3ah still about)

marvo are you talking about the lct kit?

because the stuff everyone over hear uses is the lxt kit.

it's either 1.5ah but normally 4ah on new gear (some older gear with 3ah still about)
Yep, it's LXT and the batteries are mostly 3Ah.

here we are Marv have this on me :grin: Wolf Electric Drill | eBay
I'm sure you posted this in jest but I have a couple of these drillsI still use. They have a very low rotation speed and very high torque which is ideally suited to cutting large holes in stainless steel amongst other things. They're a real head-turner when I haul them out on site:)

I don’t normally get excited – but it’s a brushless motor: Makita Jigsaw

The chips on the batteries are the issue, I'm a big makita guy got everything running in the 3 and 4Ah battery system but I burn through them every 18 months on average. They were supposed to be fixed with the 4Ah but still got issues, the key is when you hit the first charge issue you don't retry, it's caused by one cell running flat as the chip powers off of one cell only, instead and a pain in the arse, charge on a non dedicated charger, only, however you try three times on a makita charger then something(?) rests on the charge controller so that they don't recharger on makita charger and I've yet to be able to reset them. A big issue personally as now I have almost £900 of batteries which won't charge cause of a chip

Re: I don’t normally get excited – but it’s a brushless motor: Makita Jigsaw

The chips on the batteries are the issue, I'm a big makita guy got everything running in the 3 and 4Ah battery system but I burn through them every 18 months on average. They were supposed to be fixed with the 4Ah but still got issues, the key is when you hit the first charge issue you don't retry, it's caused by one cell running flat as the chip powers off of one cell only, instead and a pain in the arse, charge on a non dedicated charger, only, however you try three times on a makita charger then something(?) rests on the charge controller so that they don't recharger on makita charger and I've yet to be able to reset them. A big issue personally as now I have almost £900 of batteries which won't charge cause of a chip

? ive not had that, if they wont charge leave them inside over night and mine charged the next day. I think it was the cold that affected mine (not had it since I have 5 batts)

I don’t normally get excited – but it’s a brushless motor: Makita Jigsaw

On a sub note I have the previous model to this and it's brilliant, put a decent blade in it and a 3 Ah is awesome, plugged my the 4Ah and flew through the same job without needing a recharge, kitchen work top sink cut out and oven top cut out in solid wood plus some ripping up and them put the battery into the circular saw and carried in with the duties in the work shop!

Reply to I don’t normally get excited – but it’s a brushless motor: Makita Jigsaw in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net