Discuss Immersion Heater Element problems in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I was just trying to say a tank that size with a 3KW heater, washing horses would be on more time than its off a lot more usage than a domestic environment, just a thought that was all
The op says in the first post that the immersion is on a timer to come on at various times of the day

Absolutely nothing to do with chemical or galvanic treatment. Added to which it’s reasonably cheap and maintenance free.

This is why I asked the OP to contact me directly. I won’t put it in open forum. A good plumber can make the bits needed, a good electrician will get it to work.

Does it involve a heat exchanger and a pump?

Hi sorry been down at the job today. Right so the first two elements that did 21 days each were just plain copper ones. I went back to the wholesaler this morning with the 3rd element, which was the incoloy one (which cost £80.) I said to them about it before being on a bore hole, and that the copper ones had lasted 3 weeks each, and they said try the incoloy one and it should be better, especially as it is effectively being used like a commercial situation.

Took the incoloy one back to them which I found out today stopped working 10 days after it was installed, not even the full 2 weeks as I thought.

They started getting all shirty when I said it cost £80, is what the manufacturer recommends for hard water and commercial installs. However they are not covered by warranty when not installed on a mains water supply.

So I said have you got anything else, he got another one off the shelf and said there you go, so I picked it up and started to walk out. He said are you going to pay for that? I said how much do you want for it? He said £94. I told him where to shove it and left.

I then spoke to another plumber at a different merchants, and we agreed that due to the fact it is an indirect, unvented, 250L cylinder, being heated solely by this immersion element, it is not designed to do that sort of work, couple with the fact it is hard water.

The jist of it is, the plumber who installed it supposedly ordered a direct cylinder, and when it arrived it was an indirect, and the wholesaler said that was what he ordered. Being a bit of a mug, he took it and installed it. I specifically told him it needed to be direct as their is no oil or gas or LPG there for a boiler! Also I believe a direct cylinder of 250L has two immersions.

So the next option is an electric boiler, to feed the indirect cylinder, with the immersion as a back up. Absolute pigging nightmare.

Plumbers, who invented them???

The problem is that unless you get to the bottom of the problem, the electric boiler will go the same way as the elements.

The only benefit would be that you can dose the primary circuit which the electric boiler will be serving.

I can't see that it being an indirect cylinder affects the immersion element life significantly as it's immersed in water either way.

Reply to Immersion Heater Element problems in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net