Discuss Immersion/water heater timer switch a legal requirement? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

noidea

Morning all
As the title suggests really.
Is it a legal requirement to fit a timer switch to an Immersion?
Cheers in advance

no, it isn't a requirement of any sort. who or whaterver gasve you that idea?

Thanks telectrix
Just thought that as we're all gonna die cos of global warming having a timer switch might help save some electricity

Timers get fitted because people are out working plus there is more rental properties and they just want to get out of bed or come home to a tank of hot water.

Also a we are moving away from gas so twin heater immersions on normal and off peak are being speced more and more

There has been many discussions as to whether it is cheaper to turn the immersion on/off or to leave it on all the time. I think I read somewhere that a well insulated cylinder used for normal domestic hw is actually cheaper to run if left on all the time.

Discuss :D

There has been many discussions as to whether it is cheaper to turn the immersion on/off or to leave it on all the time. I think I read somewhere that a well insulated cylinder used for normal domestic hw is actually cheaper to run if left on all the time.

Discuss :D

Errr no because it would be like leaving your car engine running outside your house plus look at the cost of energy yes leave it on all day if you run a dog shampoo shop fine because you need hot water all of the time but yes good insulation and control then you can optimize your power use in other words only pay for what you need and use and dont go to bed with a tank full of hot water that will cool down and cycle on and off

Morning all
As the title suggests really.
Is it a legal requirement to fit a timer switch to an Immersion?
Cheers in advance

"Hello noidea",

Sorry that I did not see your Post all those Months ago - But I think it still deserves to be answered from My / a Heating Engineers point of view:

I have not had time to look through the quite large amount of text that comprises `Part L` of the Building Regulations - `Conservation of Fuel and Power` - specifically for this question / Hot Water Cylinders / Immersion Heaters `Timed Control`.

I am fairly sure that it IS a `Requirement` since Part L was introduced that there is a Timeswitch / Immersion Controller on a DIRECT Hot Water Cylinder [possibly also on an Indirect Cylinder - Heated usually by a Boiler] Immersion Heater to provide the `Timed Control` aspect of the requirement that ALL `Heat Producing Appliances` have both Thermostatic AND Time Controls.

Obviously this would NOT apply retrospectively to Immersion Heaters / Cylinders installed before the implementation of Part L - UNLESS the Immersion Heater was replaced - then it would apply.

This situation may be generally misunderstood because I have not noticed in My reading of the Regulations a specific reference to a Hot Water Cylinder / Immersion Heater and also this section of Part L is mainly viewed as to apply to Central Heating and Electrical Power / Lighting - Plus Insulation / Heat Losses - Buildings `Air Tightness` / Ventilation - etc.

BUT as I wrote in the paragraph above I am fairly sure that there is a requirement within Part L that - ALL Heat Producing Appliances have both Thermostatic AND Time Controls.

I cannot be sure of this - but I think that INDIRECT Hot Water Cylinders which are usually Heated by a Boiler / Heating System MAY be exempt from this requirement - as the Immersion Heater would be viewed as a `Back Up` in the event of the failure of the Boiler - and as such it would usually be a `Temporary Use item` [My description].

Although of course many people do just use the Immersion Heater during periods where Heating is not required - so this would in My opinion be a debatable point - especially regarding the inexpensive cost of an Immersion Controller - ?

When New Builds or Refurbishments are designed the requirements of Part L are obviously specified by the Architect / Mechanical - Electrical Engineers regarding installation of the Controls required to adhere to Part L - `Conservation of Fuel and Power`.

Sorry that this is MONTHS after your question - But it may cause some `conversations` amongst Members and give `guidance` - or perhaps cause arguments about the interpretation of this relating to Part L - although it is not a Document that I imagine will have Members rushing to read it - ?

Regards,

Chris - Heating Engineer

Last edited:
Wow, thanks Chris. Thats a very in depth answer. Thank you.

"Hello again noidea",

Thanks for the very quick reply.

I am sure that what I wrote will cause some further comments - But I would be fairly sure of my comments being a correct interpretation of the relevent section of Part L of the Building Regulations.

Obviously this will only apply to Immersion Heaters that have been fitted since those Regulations were implemented.

But I feel that because of the low cost of an Immersion Controller / Timeswitch ALL Immersion Heaters should have this Timed Control facility - certainly where the Hot Water is ONLY available from the Immersion Heater.

I will be interested in whether any other Members comment on what I have written.

Regards,

Chris - Heating Engineer

Last edited:

Reply to Immersion/water heater timer switch a legal requirement? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net