Discuss In-line duct fan run continuously in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

chronyx

Regular EF Member
Evening all, I have just had a change an in-line duct fan after a week as the circuit board seems to have failed.

I can only assume the motor is still fine. It is feasible that other types of fan may run all day (Frequently used toilet, etc) and don't seem to fail often.

It is set to run for 8 hours a day and as far as I was aware, continuous running is generally better for motors rather than constant stop/start.

I don't have the brand/model to hand unfortunately so, in general, is this suitable use for such a fan?

Thank you!

Marvo

Admin and gender confused
Staff member
Admin
Motors generally have a duty rating stated on them. It should say something like 'continuous duty' on the info plate although sometimes they just state the IEC 'S-Code'.

Marvo

Staff member
Admin
You're welcome Chronyx.

If the info plate on the motor or fan doesn't have a duty rating (or an IEC S-Code) you'll need to refer to the set up instructions booklet or the manufacturers website. If you still draw a blank in those places you'll have to speak to the wholesaler where you purchased it from.

Good luck :)

Marvo

Staff member
Admin
It just occurred to me that the UK regs could have their own duty cycle codes that are different to the IEC in which case to be BS compliant they'd use them instead. I'm not well up on the UK regs so maybe one of the locals can clarify for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Permanent unswitched live colour?

• Brown

Votes: 100 72.5%
  • Black

Votes: 38 27.5%

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.