Discuss installation of Gas pipes in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

atm84

-
Reaction score
Are gas pipes allowed to be chased into a block wall and plastered over in a domestic property?

I have been looking in the 'Safety in the installation and use of gas systems and appliances regulations' but cannot find anything that says it can't.

Yes you can, but you must have no joints in the pipe within the wall. And you should deploy some of the yellow gas warning tape around and in front of the pipe. If it passes through a cavity it should be sleeved and sealed both ends.

Many thanks Kingerie. Can the pipe be installed anywhere in the wall then or is is subject to certain zones like electrical cables without protection.?

I'll have to be honest and say I'm not sure. Hopefully someone on here will know, I don't want to say any more in case I'm speaking out of my backside! In my own house, the gas pipe for my cooker is in a brick wall and plastered over on one wall and in a stud wall on another. The section in the brick wall is wrapped in yellow gas tape whilst the section in the stud wall is sleeved and sealed. But who's to say that is correct?

Agree with Kingeri. Can be buried. No zones apply. No mechanical joints to be buried. Pipe to be protected from corrosion. If passing through a wall the pipe shall be sleeved. Pvc wrapped pipe was usually my option.
No protection against Mr DIY and his drill needed.

For installation of gas pipes, the use of pvc pipe is best option. If strong pipe is used it will be more secure for underground installation.

Seems crazy! All these rules for cables that are earthed, MCB'd, RCD'd.....but no, no problems with a GAS pipe stick it where you like mate!!!!!

I drilled through a "hidden" gas pipe earlier this week.

The chap that fixed it said that there are no zones nor protection requirements - which I think is daft!

In my own kitchen I peppered a wall with holes before realising there were gas pipes plastered in it. My own fault for not checking, but was bloody lucky I didn't hit one of them!

Gas pipes can be buried along as they have manufacturers protection on them, there are other rules for dot and dab walls which are there but never followed. Do believe you can have joints but must be soldiered no konex style joints. But there are no zones etc like electric cables.

Only sealed on one end not both

"Hello Darrenburton",

I know that You know exactly what you meant - I.E: that the actual sleeve bore and the Gas Pipe passing through it must be sealed at only one end.

But just in case someone in the future misinterprets this - it is also a requirement that the hole where the sleeve enters and exits the Wall is sealed around the sleeve at both ends.

I know that this will sound unbelievable BUT - I have actually seen on quite a few occasions where someone has gone to the extent of sealing the sleeve at one end BUT - the sleeve has NOT been sealed into the Wall at ANY end !

Regards,

Chris - Registered Gas Engineer / Heating Engineer.

Last edited:
"Hello Darrenburton",

I know that You know exactly what you meant - I.E: that the actual sleeve bore and the Gas Pipe passing through it must be sealed at only one end.

But just in case someone in the future misinterprets this - it is also a requirement that the hole where the sleeve enters and exits the Wall is sealed around the sleeve at both ends.

I know that this will sound unbelievable BUT - I have actually seen on quite a few occasions where someone has gone to the extent of sealing the sleeve at one end BUT - the sleeve has NOT been sealed into the Wall at ANY end !

Regards,

Chris - Registered Gas Engineer / Heating Engineer.

Hello,

I came back to Edit My message above but the Edit facility was not showing.

The Filling / Sealing around the actual Hole in the Wall where the Pipe Sleeve penetrates is important in order to adhere to the Gas Safety Regulations.

There is no point in sealing inside the Sleeve bore / Gas Pipe at one end and then perhaps because the Hole in the Wall has been drilled `neatly` - without much `break out` - the Contractor / Householder does not fill in the space between the Hole and the Sleeve.

I will always `seal` this space Myself - at the very least filling it to leave a small indent for Decorating filler etc. - although I can usually make a good enough filling job for Decorating purposes.

This is an example of something that most People would NOT think was any kind of `Safety Issue` - BUT - is legislated for in the Gas Safety Regulations - it might not state the above about ensuring that the Wall to Sleeve was sealed - but it would infer that this was `Obvious`.

Chris - Registered Gas Engineer / Heating Engineer / Heating, Plumbing & Gas Contractor

Last edited:
Gas pipes can be buried along as they have manufacturers protection on them, there are other rules for dot and dab walls which are there but never followed. Do believe you can have joints but must be soldiered no konex style joints. But there are no zones etc like electric cables.

Yes, that's right, and just to elaborate, compression type joints are not allowed under floorboards or any other inaccessible place either - if you think about them being the same as leccy junction boxes (of the non-maintenance free type) you won't go far wrong.

there are several methods to install a gas pipe behind plaster, it sometimes will have mechanical protection using a 1mm steel plate (in a channel) normally if run surface on blockwork it has no protection but must have a continues dab along its length.

the main thing to consider is to make sure that if it leaks it can not fill a void with gas which may be ignited. imagine a dabbed wall with a pipe inside that leaks into the void between the plasterboard and blockwork, one spark from a electrical fixture/switch could cause a bit of a problem. this is why its dabbed/encased along its length.

Reply to installation of Gas pipes in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net