Discuss Ip67 or ip68 enclosure in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Megavolt

Hi all

Call to a job yesterday where the outside light wasn't working. Found this under a manhole inspection cover. It was under water when I found it full to the brim.

Must of ran out of competion glans.

There is a swa feed and two flexes feeding under water lights in a large water feature.

Is there a ip67 or 68 enclosure available that would be suitable that doent have to be filled with gel to comply.

Thanks

575AF905-34A2-4596-B151-7CE2550E0FDE-4332-0000054EE7E5987C.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Gwiss, boxes are not really rated for underwater operation particularly when one of the flexibles is just poked through a hole.
I found that Wiska boxes are better but as soon as the seals are broken then, IMO, its difficult to maintain the full IP68

Pratley boxes are Ok but as the literature states they are for surface mounting only.

Some of the intrinsic types of enclosures are not hermetically sealed but are just sufficient to withstand internal explosions

IP 67 is if the box will be dipped into water or see water for a short period of time. IP 68 is that the box can be submersed in water. The main problem is that the CTS gland used is not rated and neither the hole drilled in the side of the box. The Glands must have the same rating as the box also any holes drilled in should have IP washers fitted. If you fit a IP 68 box with none rated glands you will not solve the problem.

Now that is a complete cock-up of a job as a JB for underwater lighting and the like!! The pit isn't provided with IP seals nor the conduit(s) cables entering it. As for the use of a Gewiss box in this pit, the mind boggles!! Best of luck rectifying this little lot, especially if you don't want to use IP box filling gel/compound.

I've found, even with the gel in the box, the water still somehow gets in and rots the terminations and SWA glands.
Better to make sure the correct stuffing glands are used with a little WD40, of course. The outer housing has a drain hole so that the IP rated adaptable box is not underwater for long periods......

Thanks for all your replys. Would consider gel as there doent seem to be a better option. Has anyone ever seen a better water tight pit.

Reply to Ip67 or ip68 enclosure in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net