Discuss Is This Safe? (fuse) in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jack25

Hi there,
I need a little help with fuse wiring as i am a total novice.

The lighting fuse blew earlier and when i went to replace the fuse wire one of the screws is stuck because the person before me must have done it up ridiculously tight.

Anyway, after trying to get it undone for ages I have given up and its too late for me to get to the shops so i needed a temporary fix so i did this, (see pic)

Is that safe to put back in?

as longas you have fitted the correct size of fuse wire. turn off main switch before inserting. OK. i have loads of these lying about. be glad to send you one. what area are you? if there is a fault on the lighting, it will blow again. call in a spark to sort it for you

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, I've moved where I've wrapped the wire round now so its down the side and out the way a bit more so it should be ok i think. i'll try it.
Thanks for the offer to send one but im in a student house so tomorrow i'll phone them up and they'll sort it out for us, but cheers.

Student? I'm surprised you didn't put a nail in.LOL. only joking. take care and ensure you turn off the main switch first. if there is a fault, you could get a nasty splash from the fuse blowing. nice photo, by the way.

Looking at what you have done you are creating a high resistance joint not ideal as it could arise to other issues. Sometimes you can undo screws with a pair of pliers or side cutters

Looking at what you have done you are creating a high resistance joint not ideal as it could arise to other issues. Sometimes you can undo screws with a pair of pliers or side cutters
not ideal, no, but it's just to tide him over till tomorrow

Just plugged it back in and it all fine, thanks for the help.

yeah i tried pliers and everything else I could think of but that thing is STUCK.
With regards to the high resistance joint surely it is the same as if you wrapped it around the screw a couple of times the normal way but just less secure with the screw not being able to hold it in place. Also will the charge not just transfer to the copper plug prong as soon as a connection is made as the resistance is lower?

don't think there's much chance of you featuring on rogue traders. seen much worse done by people who should know better. just make sure you get your landlord to get it sorted properly ASAP.

Hi fella, I'm not even gonna suggest anything different from telectrix, because he knows he's stuff. However, can I suggest spraying the screw with some wd40 and to leave it overnight, to see if that helps loosen the screw - but if you do that, then for God's sake, make sure that you wipe off all of the residue before putting it back in the board.

Reply to Is This Safe? (fuse) in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net