Discuss JIB card advice needed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

JB1975

I need some advice with regards the JIB.

I have my NVQ 2, completed the level 3 and was offered a job away from home as soon as I finished the course. As a result I never fully completed my level 3 as I didn`t do the on site portfolio (this was 15 years ago).

I have 17th edition and 2391. During my career I have been a QS for an NIC firm for seven years, and also whilst self employed became a member of Elecsa.

I really want to get on a local job to me which is a large hospital job for the next two years but I need a card. I rang the JIB last week and through broken English (the lady sounded Italian!) I was told if I didn`t have my Level 3 then I can`t get a card. I explained all my qualifications, experience etc but it got me nowhere.

It ****es me off that I can be recognised by the NIC as competent enough to be a Qualified Supervisor yet the JIB only recognise me as a trainee (no level 3, your not a spark).

Has anyone had any experience of this, does anyone know if the JIB has an appeals process or is there any way around this?

Cheers in advance.

unfortunately they wont budge on the nvq level3.
put your time and energy into completing the qualification rather than fighting their
decision.

deep down you probably know that after all these years you should have finished it.

Hi could someone help me please? My husband did apprenticeship and qualified back in '99 or 2000 he has his AM 1 & 2 2360 parts 1 & 2 16 edition as it was then and now 17th edition his 2391 and an nvq 2 in installation and since then has been working self employed for agencies but is now finding it harder and harder to find work because everyone wants jib - I have been told you can get grandfather rights is this true? Because hes normally only on site for 2 months max then moves on so site visits would be impossible?
Please help

Mate am in exactly the same position, done a jib apprenticeship, all units of credit for level 3 , log book for first two years signed of, still have my 3 rd year log book completed, but like u I got offered 3 times the money I was in at the time because the company which took me on see me as a qualified electrician. I done my 17th edition in 2008 , have my 2391 testing, am a NICEIC qualified supervisor for my own company BUT because I never gave in that final log book I never got the last certificate to say I have got all units if credit towards level 3, Iv been on the phone to city and guilds today trying to chase, I have spoken to someone from the jtl who had all my details still from 10 years ago, but the JIB will not budge because they want that one piece of paper saying level 3, even tho I have all the evidence leading up to it, jtl said I can do another portfolio with them but it doesn't guarantee getting the gold card because I have that final certificate missing, jtl seem to think there is a way round it and are going to phone me on Monday , absolute nightmare, never really needed the card because for the last 4 years I have worked for myself, been offered work on London Underground but MUST have approved card.
Like biff said deep down if I didn't just see pound notes when I was younger I wouldn't be having this problem now, then again I wasn't advised very well
What annoys me is there's untold sparks out there with jib cards and they are a load of s**t who shouldn't even be allowed near any electrical work, and half the people at the jib who asses you ain't sparks either, just pen pushers
And the level 3 is changing next year so if it aint sorted by next year they said I got to go back to college!!!!! Yeah like that's gona happen

Mate am in exactly the same position, done a jib apprenticeship, all units of credit for level 3 , log book for first two years signed of, still have my 3 rd year log book completed, but like u I got offered 3 times the money I was in at the time because the company which took me on see me as a qualified electrician. I done my 17th edition in 2008 , have my 2391 testing, am a NICEIC qualified supervisor for my own company BUT because I never gave in that final log book I never got the last certificate to say I have got all units if credit towards level 3, Iv been on the phone to city and guilds today trying to chase, I have spoken to someone from the jtl who had all my details still from 10 years ago, but the JIB will not budge because they want that one piece of paper saying level 3, even tho I have all the evidence leading up to it, jtl said I can do another portfolio with them but it doesn't guarantee getting the gold card because I have that final certificate missing, jtl seem to think there is a way round it and are going to phone me on Monday , absolute nightmare, never really needed the card because for the last 4 years I have worked for myself, been offered work on London Underground but MUST have approved card.
Like biff said deep down if I didn't just see pound notes when I was younger I wouldn't be having this problem now, then again I wasn't advised very well
What annoys me is there's untold sparks out there with jib cards and they are a load of s**t who shouldn't even be allowed near any electrical work, and half the people at the jib who asses you ain't sparks either, just pen pushers
And the level 3 is changing next year so if it aint sorted by next year they said I got to go back to college!!!!! Yeah like that's gona happen

I spoke to jib yesterday and they said city and guilds one stopped recruitment 2012 and quickstep are only letting people enrol in the next few months, full on nightmare I just spoke to the hubby an he said hes looked online an one site are offering it for 550 an no site visits! Seriously hope you find a way around it and get your job on the underground

Many thanks for your reply

Basically gota pay ÂŁ1200 to do a portfolio and then try to persuade the jib on your evidence they will approve you. Been told if you get two recommendations from jib registered company directors this helps a lot. Personally I feel like tipping the whole thing boll*x but deep down know I should try and get it, as I'm loosing out on a big earner at the minute because of it

Oh its crazy - I mean I do understand its a dangerous job if you don't know what your doing but cmon surely they have to recognise time served and that your not all diy monkeys - so these grandfather rights are bull?? Seriously hope you dont miss the job opportunity because of this
Hope you get some luck

Basically gota pay ÂŁ1200 to do a portfolio and then try to persuade the jib on your evidence they will approve you. Been told if you get two recommendations from jib registered company directors this helps a lot. Personally I feel like tipping the whole thing boll*x but deep down know I should try and get it, as I'm loosing out on a big earner at the minute because of it

My hubby said hes seen it online for 550 an no site visits :shocked3:

I had to pay ÂŁ140 to hand my portfolio in again.... And he sent back looking for 12 method statements even tho it doesn't ask for them in description and that's me .. Finito...And my boss won't budge unless I've got card either so yes we should of just done it instead of thinking we are the people who's never going back but actually we stupid muckers...

Has your husband got the website name that are offering it for 550 please? Better than paying the 1200, the nvq people I spoke to told me it would take a year to complete with visits etc etc, I'm looking to complete it in the next 3 months, I do a broad enough range of commercial work to cover it, to be honest I find it a bit of a joke I have to do it again having still got all the paper work from when I done it before, and the fact I'm managing a job with 6 electricians under me as well with 4 of them having approved cards makes it even more if a joke

A letter from your previous employer may help (if you still have contacts there and they are willing to help). Needs to detail your role and responsibilities. May help to sway JIB decision. Pretty sure I've read that some people have had success in this way.

unfortunately they wont budge on the nvq level3.
put your time and energy into completing the qualification rather than fighting their
decision.

deep down you probably know that after all these years you should have finished it.

Cheers for the replies.

Unfortunately Biff your right. I know I should have completed it, at the time I was a young lad with my first mortgage and was offered a job that doubled my wages.

Tanna, depressing isn`t it mate. Sian is right, there are a few online portfolios you can do that range from ÂŁ500-ÂŁ1000 with no site visits. Looks like we need to just bite the bullet and get it done.

Hubby mailed them last night, they have responsed already havent spoke to him properly cos hes in work - let you know later

JB1975 Do you fall into this category ?

(taken from the ECS card website)

Qualifications completed and certificated between 1[SUP]st[/SUP] January 1994 and 1st September 1999
The technical theory qualification, the City & Guilds 2360 (parts one and two)PLUS the AM2 assessment is needed. Bona fide references from previous and present employers covering the last three years will also be needed.

A letter from your previous employer may help (if you still have contacts there and they are willing to help). Needs to detail your role and responsibilities. May help to sway JIB decision. Pretty sure I've read that some people have had success in this way.

picking up from the above comment , your going to need this anyway.

a successful jib gold card application requires several elements ,

references from previous employers
detailed written work history
an in-date ECS H&S assessment
counter-signed passport photo & identity confirmation.
and the application forms completed correctly.

its not just about the quals , the whole package needs to presented properly.

and as many find out , its a much harder club to join than the NIC

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive just read an it says that if you have done your nvq 3 in the last two years you dont need to do your ecs?? An the training centre says that with his quals he would get an approved card :dizzy2::dizzy2: oh I dunno im so confused

Ive just read an it says that if you have done your nvq 3 in the last two years you dont need to do your ecs??

this is correct.

An the training centre says that with his quals he would get an approved card :dizzy2::dizzy2:

what the training centre says is irrelevent , they're not the ones who decide.

Reply to JIB card advice needed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net