Discuss key switch isolators in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

PSES

-
Reaction score
Hi all

I've got a job where I need to fit double pole isolators for a customer to isolate under worktop alliance sockets. It is for his disabled daughter and because of her condition they need to have the abilty to lock off all appliances. They have at present 20a DP emergency lighting key switches which have been fitted by another electrician, but they are no longer suitable and they have asked me to replace them with an isolator with an actual key.

The only thing I can find though is the below MK item which is MEGA expensive, any ideas??

MK K4780WHI Fire Alarm Isolator Switch - Building Supplies - Shopping.com UK

Cheers for any ideas you can give us

They've got the keyswitches above worktop height already and so wanted some sort of isolator that I can just put on the existing KO boxes as they old cabling was only installed 12 months ago and the kitchen redecorated so they dont want me to be chasing the walls.....

the above link is to an MK K4870WHI, if you just google it then it comes up, its basically a 20a DP switch but with a key and they think they charge nearly £70 a go!!!

With my industrial background you wouldn't have liked my first idea.

Why has the image of an ocb popped into my head.

Just a note, a key switch controlled contactor wouldn't be classed as isolation. It's just switching the circuit on and off.

It would depend on how you looked at it RoB, as isolation no, disabling yes. As it is a 20A DP switch wouldn’t be classified as isolation.

If you have access to the cables in the ceiling / floor you could still utilise the boxes with a bit of re-jigging of the supply.

No sorry it was to Tony

They want me to replace their existing grid system(which has emergency lighting key switches in) to fit something with a key switch you cant opperate so easily without the key......

The MK key switches seem to be £21 in RS, the other alternative though no cheaper is to buy 20A double pole panel mount key switches and mount them in a blank plate.
Alternatively if you just want to avoid them being switched rather than isolate then you could use plate switch lockouts, just a bit cheaper

Reply to key switch isolators in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net