Discuss Kitchen electrical work in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

AL3XREID

DIY
Reaction score
I am looking for pro advice on kitchen electrical installation.

Currently in the process of old kitchen being replaced, cancelled registered electrician that I had initially booked up after joiner handling the the job said he could get an electrician in sooner and get it signed off. Which I initially thought was perfectKitchen electrical work IMG-20201014-WA0000 - EletriciansForums.net but now having second thoughts, from what I have been told from other fully trained electricians with regards to work being carried out, regulations etc.

The job at hand was to fit as follows -

Fit small 2 way fuse box for kitchen sockets and cooker. ( Decided to go with this to keep costs down, as main consumer unit would need to replaced due to age.)
Alter cooker point so that it is sunk in wall and there is a connection point for the double oven.
Add sparker socket for hob Add tumble dryer switched fused spur and socket.
Add dishwasher fused spur and socket Testing and Certification.

I have added a picture of current work

Not really sure what you’re asking. Are you saying the joiner is doing the wiring or someone he has gotten in?

You may need a building warrant for the work, depending on the type of property and where stuff is going. If you do you’ll need someone registered with NICEIC or Select.

Under counter appliances require above counter isolation in Scotland. You’ll need a heat alarm and possibly a CO detector in the kitchen.

The joiner has brought in an electrician to do the work. Also know the chap has to be fully qualified and registered to do the work, which I have been assured by joiner is the case.I wont take the risk of when it comes to electrical work.

The work is been carried out in my own personal home.

This is work he is due to carry out -

Small 2 way fuse box for kitchen sockets, which has to be fitted for kitchen, as main consumer board is older and not up to todays standards for the work I need done.

Alter cooker point so that it is sunk in wall and there is a connection point for the double oven.

Sparker socket for hob.

Tumble dryer switched fused spur and socket.

Dishwasher fused spur and socket Testing and Certification.

Which are to be isolated above counters as I am in Scotland.

Also will this work have to be signed off under Part P due to 2 way fuse box being installed or just signed off as minor electrical work.

Thanks

Last edited:
All I can see is 2 boxes chopped in and a bit of 2.5 in kopex ...Which is pretty normal at first fix stage

hard to judge the installation on such a small amount of work
Thats as much has been done up up to this point of install, so far so good then..

The job sheet for the work i listed, would that have to be Part P signed off or would it be signed off as Minor electrical work?

Thanks

If you are in England only new circ require part p notifiable

howfver you should get a certificate for all the work once it’s complete

I'm in Scotland so will have to check legislation up here. Can't see it being much different.

Also from what you are saying, the two way fusebox thats due to be fitted for the electrics in the kitchen, that would also come under small electrical work?

Thanks

Part P doesn't exist in Scotland. We have our own standards and I tried to assist with that in my earlier post re a building warrant.

You'll need a full EIC. If you know the name of the electrical company you can check they are registered by searching SELECT or NICEIC website

Last edited by a moderator:
I won't need a building warrant as I am not making alterations to the building which is what is stated from my local council. But will need an EIC, but reading between the lines from the conversation I had with my my joiner, the electrician is doing the work basicly as a "homer". Which has got me concerned, as how can he legally sign off the work?

Cheers

I'm in Scotland so will have to check legislation up here. Can't see it being much different.

Also from what you are saying, the two way fusebox thats due to be fitted for the electrics in the kitchen, that would also come under small electrical work?

Thanks
NO. it's a new distribution circuit and final circuits. not Minor Works.

in that situation i always use a 2+1 back box.

Potential issue with decorative accessories?

Between our kitchen and utility room there are three instances where a switched fcu sits beside a double socket. Only one uses a 2+1 box and those other two are spaced differently, but thankfully are on different walls. I'm inclined to agree that dual boxes or individual boxes fixed with a bush would be preferable and also easier to level.

Last edited:
I don't know if its the angle of the photo, but those two newly installed boxes look on the wonk?
Update on works ongoing. Supposedly no need to fit two way fusebox, kitchen electrical appliances were safe enough to run off existing consumer board.

Not really happy with loose switch and socket that was left behind tumble as per picture. Also unsure about socket which has been attached to flooring under the new double oven.

Looking for advice please.

Attachments

• Kitchen electrical work 20201019_121033 - EletriciansForums.net
    20201019_121033.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Kitchen electrical work IMG-20201019-WA0003 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG-20201019-WA0003.jpeg
    34.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Kitchen electrical work 20201019_124229 - EletriciansForums.net
    20201019_124229.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Kitchen electrical work 20201019_124808 - EletriciansForums.net
    20201019_124808.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Kitchen electrical work 20201019_124819 - EletriciansForums.net
    20201019_124819.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 42
That loose socket on the corner is atrocious. Should be fixed to wall and the cable clipped to support it.
I genuinely didn't know it was like that until I pulled out the tumble dryer. I have been in touch with the joiner who was dealing with the electrician who done the work, as I'm extremely annoyed about this.

Is the socket that has been attached to the floor ok, or should I be concerned about this also?

Thanks

Reply to Kitchen electrical work in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock