Discuss lamp brighter - faulty electrics? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

gunners001

Hi

I am new to this forum and hoping to get some advice. I tried to post in the DIY section but don't have access to it.

I recently purchased an old table lamp from ebay.

I completely rewired it using a brand new brass ES lamp holder.

The light was great for a few weeks but now the bulb used in it has become much brighter for no apparent reason. At first it was a soft glow but is now quite bright.

(bulb type used was one of the vintage filament 40w style that are popular at the minute)

I was wondering if this is just a problem with the bulb or whether it could be an issue with the wiring.

Cheers
Ben

Some of those old lamps were only designed to be installed hanging from a pendant, if you have yours the other way (cap at the bottom) could be the problem maybe, just saying, could be wrong though

Your mixing up with some lamps that need to have the cap at the bottom so all the heat is radiated away from the cap fitting them cap at top can limit their lamp life... OP has probably just got duff lamps as the filament is usually a double/triple coiled set-up if the lamp is knocked about at any-point from manufacturer to customer fitting it the coils can get inter-tangled effectively shorting out part of the resistive filament which will lower its resistance while still been supplied by the same voltage thus it gets hotter and glows brighter at the expense of vastly reduced lifespan...don't expect this lamp to last much longer.

Alternatively you house supply has just had a voltage boost which would be evident elsewhere.

Reply to lamp brighter - faulty electrics? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net