Discuss Light switch standards confusion. Help? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am a bit confused with different systems for light switches across Europe. I see that most of the companies that sell light switches offer both of the two options:

• A: European/German/multi-part/2-module switches (found all of those names for it) (example image)
  • B: Italian/modular/3-module system switches (example image)

Questions:
  1. Which ones do you use?
  2. Are the modular ones only used in Italy and the rest of EU uses multi-part ones?
  3. Are there any advantages and is there any real difference than in the layout?
  4. Or is this just a matter of taste?
  5. Which one is more widespread?
  6. Are both of them only limited to Europe?
Any explanation would be very appreciated!

dunno about europe, but here in UK we rarely use modular switches in domestic properties. mot are either 1/2/3/gang.

As with the many different types of plug and socket in use around the world, different switch and socket mounting formats and dimensions have evolved in different countries and become embedded in the local electrical regulations. Customers also become familiar with locally adopted designs, and have expectations regarding the appearance of visible parts such as switch rockers.

Comparing the narrow abutting modular system often used in Italy with the wide spaced format popular in Germany, I suspect that a significant factor was the difference in socket outlet design at the time the modular principle was adopted. Although Schuko sockets are increasingly used in Italy, the local CEI 23-50 3-pin socket-outlet was historically the most common choice for domestic installations. This has approximately the same dimensions as a narrow switch rocker, and narrow rockers and front-mounted switch mechanisms were already popular in Italy and made by most major brands. Making each module only the width of a socket allowed maximum advantage to be taken of this similarity.

In Germany and German-derived installation practice, full-width rockers were historically popular, and Schuko sockets are deeper and wider than CEI types. Therefore it probably made more sense for German manufacturers to adopt a conventional socket-box outline as the module, and make other components and multi-module plates to match as this resulted in familiar rocker dimensions.

Each system has its own merits and demerits (as do the UK, US and other systems.) An Italian module frame allows many devices to be fitted side-by-side in a single box without providing electrical isolation for circuits in different bands (e.g. AV ports and power wiring). The German system by default (using a dividable or multi-compartment back box) provides separation and more wiring room.

Here in the UK we use neither of the above. Our system has the largest footprint of any in the world, again driven by the outline of our plugs which are wider but flatter than most others and the preference for switched sockets. We can fit three switch rockers in the area of one socket, compared to the USA where two sockets fit in the area of one traditional toggle switch. USA and UK practice traditionally shared the practice of exposed fixing screws, whereas European material favoured concealed screws and snap-on cover frames.

As with the many different types of plug and socket in use around the world, different switch and socket mounting formats and dimensions have evolved in different countries and become embedded in the local electrical regulations. Customers also become familiar with locally adopted designs, and have expectations regarding the appearance of visible parts such as switch rockers.

Comparing the narrow abutting modular system often used in Italy with the wide spaced format popular in Germany, I suspect that a significant factor was the difference in socket outlet design at the time the modular principle was adopted. Although Schuko sockets are increasingly used in Italy, the local CEI 23-50 3-pin socket-outlet was historically the most common choice for domestic installations. This has approximately the same dimensions as a narrow switch rocker, and narrow rockers and front-mounted switch mechanisms were already popular in Italy and made by most major brands. Making each module only the width of a socket allowed maximum advantage to be taken of this similarity.

In Germany and German-derived installation practice, full-width rockers were historically popular, and Schuko sockets are deeper and wider than CEI types. Therefore it probably made more sense for German manufacturers to adopt a conventional socket-box outline as the module, and make other components and multi-module plates to match as this resulted in familiar rocker dimensions.

Each system has its own merits and demerits (as do the UK, US and other systems.) An Italian module frame allows many devices to be fitted side-by-side in a single box without providing electrical isolation for circuits in different bands (e.g. AV ports and power wiring). The German system by default (using a dividable or multi-compartment back box) provides separation and more wiring room.

Here in the UK we use neither of the above. Our system has the largest footprint of any in the world, again driven by the outline of our plugs which are wider but flatter than most others and the preference for switched sockets. We can fit three switch rockers in the area of one socket, compared to the USA where two sockets fit in the area of one traditional toggle switch. USA and UK practice traditionally shared the practice of exposed fixing screws, whereas European material favoured concealed screws and snap-on cover frames.
excellent, informative post, but ain't your fingers sore?

Took me two days though. I type a few lines at a time when I get a spare moment or I want to tune out from what's going on here. By the time I eventually hit the post button it's sometimes expanded a bit more than intended.

Reply to Light switch standards confusion. Help? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net