Currently reading:
Lightning conductor repair on a Church

Discuss Lightning conductor repair on a Church in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

andyyoyo

Its beyond my scope, so do ant of you fellas know who does such work in East Kent? A 10metre section of bare stranded copper has been nicked, this heads off into the heavens directly to the spire & its a long long way up.

This isn't rocket science to replace a section of lightning down conductor cable....
All that's needed is a a 10m length of the correct CSA used on this installation and crimp on to the existing cable. You may find the down conductor is hard drawn stranded cable, which is not as flexible as the standard stranded cable....

It may be a good idea to cover this replaced cable with steel capping to protect from future opportunist thieves. You may also have to include a test point, normally at 1.50 to 1.75m above FGL for future test purposes. All materials can be purchased from a good wholesaler or purchase on line direct from ''Furse''. ...Who will also advise you on those materials if you give them a call!!!!

Thanks for the reply, I didnt have the chance to get really close to the cable- if it had been something I thought I could crimp on to, I would have done so. But this cable appears to be more like a copper rope, so I dont think it could be crimped.

Was gonna wrap the solder around the ladder, then every time the wind blew the cable in the right direction.... (enough of this drivel, must do something useful/interesting like finishing those lovely test sheets)

Can't be absolutely sure, but i am pretty certain Soldered joints aren't allowed on lightning protection joints. I've certainly never seen them on the numerous systems i've been involved on/with!! only ever seen or used crimped or clamped joints..

What is being called rope, is probably ''hard drawn'' copper cable which would normally have around 50 or 70mm CSA for a down conductor...

Can't be absolutely sure, but i am pretty certain Soldered joints aren't allowed on lightning protection joints. I've certainly never seen them on the numerous systems i've been involved on/with!! only ever seen or used crimped or clamped joints..

What is being called rope, is probably ''hard drawn'' copper cable which would normally have around 50 or 70mm CSA for a down conductor...

I'm with you never seen joints soldered but have seen them Exothermically Welded see link AN Wallis Earthing and Lightning Protection :: A.N. Wallis

But as you say it is more usual to use clamps

I'm with you never seen joints soldered but have seen them Exothermically Welded see link AN Wallis Earthing and Lightning Protection :: A.N. Wallis

But as you say it is more usual to use clamps

Yes totally agree with you, i didn't mention cad welding (exothermic welding) as it's not normally used in these circumstances. More often used to connect conductors to structural steelwork and to ground electrodes etc.... Far too expensive to use in place of a crimp or clamp connection to extend/replace sections of cable/tape.

Braise welding is also an acceptable method of connection, but again this not really an alternative method to use in this instance...

Ive just had to walk away from this one, how much gear can one sole trader buy? I hate having to tell a regular that I cant do something for them, if only I had some more time etc etc......

Reply to Lightning conductor repair on a Church in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back