Discuss Failed PIR on an old church in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

SafetyFirst

A church near me has been tested as unsatisfactory with many recommendations, including 5 grade 1's.

Having not seen any of the installation as yet i've been asked to have a look at the schedules to advise on what work may need doing and if i could carry out any correcting actions to the installation myself.

It's an old church, the estimated age of the electrical installation is 40+ years there has been signs of various alterations/additions.

No previous records of testing were found to compare.

The 5 grade 1's are as follows;

1) Main bonding cable to gas and water is insufficient at only 2.5mm (10mm required) furthermore it is split, recommend seperate cables to each source or unslipt 10mm cable to service both.

2) Lightning conductor has been cut and needs repairing.

The other 3 grade 1's are to do with the circuits via the power board within the church.

1) 2 radial sockets are wired in 1.5mm MICC and protected by a B32 amp breaker.
2) 9 sockets are served on their own ring wired again in 1.5mm MICC again protected by a B32 amp breaker.
3) Heating controls serving 9 points are wired with a mixture of MICC and pvc cabling protected by a B20 amp breaker.

All above circuits are proteced by overrated fuses and their recommendation is to lower the fuse ratings to suffice.

I know MICC is the best type of cable for longevity out there and looking at the IR testing it could stay around for many years to come however a ring wired in 1.5mm. Surely that needs upgrading to at least 2.5mm? the radial with just 2 points should be ok in 1.5mm but needs a 16/20amp breaker rather than a 32amp thats currently protecting it, (bare in mind this is without looking at the job). As for the heating controls i wouldn't like to guess untill i look at the job but can't imagine it pulling anywhere near 20amps.

The church in size isn't all that great, somewhere in the region of 50m by 20m.

There's other lesser recommendations such as DB chart needs updating, cables need clipping etc.

I obviously need to view the job myself but seems to me like a lot of work needs doing to make this church anywhere near to todays standards.

Anyone out there who've tested and corrected any similar installations and any advice on the grade 1's above please?

You don't say what earthing system is provided at this church, it could well be TT, but you will still need to upgrade the bonding conductors to 10mm. The cut lightning protection down conductor will certainly need repairing, and will need the correct type of flat bar connectors being used too.

Knowing MICC cable as i do, i'd be quite happy leaving the 1.5mm MICC cables on a 32A breaker, however if we are going by the Reg's just reduce the breakers to 25A.

A church near me has been tested as unsatisfactory with many recommendations, including 5 grade 1's.

Having not seen any of the installation as yet i've been asked to have a look at the schedules to advise on what work may need doing and if i could carry out any correcting actions to the installation myself.

It's an old church, the estimated age of the electrical installation is 40+ years there has been signs of various alterations/additions.

No previous records of testing were found to compare.

The 5 grade 1's are as follows;

1) Main bonding cable to gas and water is insufficient at only 2.5mm (10mm required) furthermore it is split, recommend seperate cables to each source or unslipt 10mm cable to service both. Code 1/2 more inclined for me to be a 2 as none at all would be a 1, but agree on this one needs remedial

2) Lightning conductor has been cut and needs repairing. Lightning systems should really not be included on an EICR, these should be tested similar to fire systems and come under BS EN 62305. If it is disconnected from the MET then rather than quoting for remedial work, I would suggest having the system overhauled by a company that specializes in it.

The other 3 grade 1's are to do with the circuits via the power board within the church.

1) 2 radial sockets are wired in 1.5mm MICC and protected by a B32 amp breaker. Never noticed you said Radial, MICC clipped is rated 28amps so technically yes you could code that a 2 so have to give him that one
2) 9 sockets are served on their own ring wired again in 1.5mm MICC again protected by a B32 amp breaker.Seems the moron is still coding
3) Heating controls serving 9 points are wired with a mixture of MICC and pvc cabling protected by a B20 amp breaker. At the least the moron is consistent. Why was this coded, mixture of cables, was the jointing not done as per spec?

All above circuits are proteced by overrated fuses and their recommendation is to lower the fuse ratings to suffice.

I know MICC is the best type of cable for longevity out there and looking at the IR testing it could stay around for many years to come however a ring wired in 1.5mm. Surely that needs upgrading to at least 2.5mm? the radial with just 2 points should be ok in 1.5mm but needs a 16/20amp breaker rather than a 32amp thats currently protecting it, (bare in mind this is without looking at the job). As for the heating controls i wouldn't like to guess untill i look at the job but can't imagine it pulling anywhere near 20amps.

The church in size isn't all that great, somewhere in the region of 50m by 20m.

There's other lesser recommendations such as DB chart needs updating, cables need clipping etc.

I obviously need to view the job myself but seems to me like a lot of work needs doing to make this church anywhere near to todays standards.

Anyone out there who've tested and corrected any similar installations and any advice on the grade 1's above please?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Last edited:
I take it that the supply is TN-C-S, if the recommend 10mm² for bonding?
Lightning protection falls outside of the scope of BS7671, apart from the requirement for main bonding.
The Radial wired in MICC should be on a 20A breaker.
I would not consider any of the above to warrent a code 1. Code 2 would be my opinion.
What is the CSA of the PVC cables for the heating controls, what are the controls rated at and is there any in line fuses?
Cannot comment without further information.
As for the RFC being wired in 1.5mm² MICC and being protected by a 32A breaker, there should be no code, as it complies.

Total agreement with previous posts. Might be interesting to see schedule of test results though. I bet there's no problems with the pyros. And they will certainly blend in with the surroundings better than any other system.

Last edited:
I take it that the supply is TN-C-S, if the recommend 10mm² for bonding?
Lightning protection falls outside of the scope of BS7671, apart from the requirement for main bonding.
The Radial wired in MICC should be on a 20A breaker.
I would not consider any of the above to warrent a code 1. Code 2 would be my opinion.
What is the CSA of the PVC cables for the heating controls, what are the controls rated at and is there any in line fuses?
Cannot comment without further information.
As for the RFC being wired in 1.5mm² MICC and being protected by a 32A breaker, there should be no code, as it complies.
Says it all really.
Muppet coding, some problems, not difficult to fix, some more information required once on site.

IF TT, bonding conductors should be at least half size of main earth (actual or calculated by adiabatic) with minimum of 6mm.

The point i was making, if he needs to change these existing 2.5mm, then he might as well change them to 10mm. Who knows what the next generation of bonding regulations might be...lol!! And if it is a TT installation, it could always be PME'd at a future date....

Reply to Failed PIR on an old church in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net