Discuss Surge Protection in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

Infamous

Hey all,

I came accross a video by tony cable and co breifly explaining surge protection protection and the requirements with the new regs amendment.

It detailed the main cause of surges as being lightning strikes and Switching Electromagnetic Pulses (SEMPs) - man made; and how they can damage electrical equipment, (mostly the former is the issue however with lightning conductors and ever increasing roof equipment a la solar). In the description with the video it detailed that one of the main causes of a surges in a consumers property is local buildings with lightning protection being struck and the current flowing to earth often finds its way back through other consumers properties via earthed pipe work and such to the local transformer as this can often have a very good earth connection (obviously).

BS 7671 Chapter 4 Section 443 states where SPDs are needed where Overvoltages may occur from Lightning (Atmospheric) and Manmade (SEMPs)

Now i understand what a surge is, the science behind it and why protection should certainly be considered. But my main question is, realistically, what are the chances of a large over voltage being caused by a consumers equipment? Because if its reletively low it seems like more of an issue with DNO/supply company ensuring there supply system has the proper surge protection equipment, because lets face it, if your SPD fitted locally protects your installation how can you garentee the supply cables before it are in any fit condition anyway if theyve had 200ka try to pass through them?

And just sticking to SPDs consumer side only where the consumer has that SEMP risk

Any clarifcation would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't think we have to worry about surge protection due to we have less than 25 thunderstorm days per year 443.2.2

Reply to Surge Protection in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net