Discuss Low level distribution board located in toilet. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I need your thoughts on a job which I’ve been asked to quote for. This is a commercial shop and I’ve being asked to install a toilet and hand basin right next to the distribution board. There is a cupboard around the distribution board however this is low-level. Would this meet BS7671? Does the board need to be located higher up on the wall or doesn’t this comply at all ? There is no shower or bath located in the toilet area. Please see photos of plan and DB board.

F55AA8F1-6185-4F83-A7AD-466EEC1A2D2F.jpeg

C88D4A1B-F34A-47DD-98CD-779903D2D1D5.jpeg

Although nothing against it in the regs common sense should apply.

Looking at the plan the door on the right will not fully open as the toilet in the way, how will this affect the accessibility to the switchgear etc?

Will the cupboard be locked to stop unwanted access?

Is there risk of water ingress in case of a burst pipe?

Think of worst case scenario, will someone try to access the DB with wet hands? i.e. washing their hands and the lights trip out, will they try and reset the MCB with wet hands?

Looking at the plan the door on the right will not fully open as the toilet in the way, how will this affect the accessibility to the switchgear etc?

What's strange is the Architect / Person who drew the plans has shown the sweep of the door clearly hitting the WC with no mention of altering the door.
But it also looks like the door hit the existing wall anyway.
And that's the side the meter reader needs to get to.

From left field, I'll throw in the regs in 422 area for discussion ... Putting a toilet in there means the board is now in an escape route, perhaps ? (I've no clue really whether this would be the case). Wiring systems non flame propagating, accessible to authorised persons etc and 422.2.2 enclosure non combustible. Emergency lighting ?

Last edited:
hmmm. an escape route from a smelly dump? don't think that would constitute an urgent evacuation unless sprouts and vindaloo were involved.

It may not exactly be prohibited by regs however in my judgement it would not meet the requirement of EAWR regulation 15; adequate access. I always stick a label on such three phase boards in switch rooms to warn to keep switch gear clear by 1m. Looks like that is not the case.
Regulation 4 requires maintenance so as not to introduce danger. Putting water supplies around electric cupboards should be obvious, is a retrograde step. It looks like access is challenging enough without a door that will not properly open without the toilet and sink there. Can't it be put into the other corner of the new partition??
I think it would be interesting to see a Risk Assessment on such a plan. I can just see Mrs. Higgins storing the bleach and feather duster in the cupboard as we speak.

Cut the doors down to give access level to the bottom of the dis board, make a removable panel at the bottom even if it’s just held in place with magnetic catches for access to fuse cutouts. Fold the seat of the bog down you can now rest your arse and sit in comfort whilst you write out the board schedule and test at the next inspection. Plus the door may just pass over the top of the pan, problem sorted just change the existing light to an emergency combined fitting if it isn’t already.

If you're concerned about Part P (Building Regulations), remember that it only applies to dwellings, not commercial / industrial applications.

If you're concerned about BS7671, if the system was installed to the regulations at the time of installation, it's deemed acceptable by the current regulations.

Therefore, you will be ok. However as previously mentioned by others, common-sense would say it's not a good idea. Suggest your changes to the client in a presumptive way, I'm sure they'll be ok given the circumstances.

If you're concerned about BS7671, if the system was installed to the regulations at the time of installation, it's deemed acceptable by the current regulations.

Therefore, you will be ok....

I don't agree. If you make changes which reduce access to electrical equipment (513.1) or subject the equipment to more severe environmental conditions (512.2), then the system may no longer conform with BS 7671, even if it did when installed.

Not saying that this is necessarily the case here, although I think that the electrical cupboard would be better left in the corridor rather than having access restricted.

Reply to Low level distribution board located in toilet. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net