Discuss Main Bonding plastic pipes in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi again,

a kitchen has been ripped out, the main water stop was in there. it was all lead and copper water pipes and a main bond was to be run. However matey has lopped these pipes off and left about 4 inches of lead pipe coming in and then gone and replaced with plastic pipes. so would the small length of remaing lead pipe need bonding?

Hi again,

a kitchen has been ripped out, the main water stop was in there. it was all lead and copper water pipes and a main bond was to be run. However matey has lopped these pipes off and left about 4 inches of lead pipe coming in and then gone and replaced with plastic pipes. so would the small length of remaing lead pipe need bonding?

It will indeed need bonding to the MET i'm afraid, as it's still introducing an extraneous earth into the property!!

Without seeing the area and taking into account other factors that may have a bearing on my decision I have to go with whats in the BGB and GN 8:
411.3.1.1 & .2 ..... SHALL connect to the M.E.T extraneous-conductive-parts including...(i) water installation pipes.
GN8 ...... ALL e-c-p to be bonded to the MET.

this is a picture, i know theres a clamp on there, but its cream crackered and fairly seized up... and does it matter if the bond is before or after the stop cock, i know the continuity is there between the cock, but normally?.....i dont like typing cock so much either

Attachments

• IMG_2059.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 135
especially since i=p/u has moved to scotland. LOL. :waving:

this is a picture, i know theres a clamp on there, but its cream crackered and fairly seized up... and does it matter if the bond is before or after the stop cock, i know the continuity is there between the cock, but normally?.....i dont like typing cock so much either

Plumber dropped one there.

That short bit of copper after the old siezed-up stop cock is the ideal place to fit a new one and then continue in plastic.

Must have been done by a spark who "knows a bit" about plumbing !!

I quite agree, although I'd have preferred to see another inch or two of copper.

Well you can have that if you want.

The plastic straight coupler is demountable and reusable - it just unscrews - and the short bit of copper is connected to the stop cock with a compression fitting, so you only need a longer bit of 15mm copper and a new 15mm olive to reconnect to the stop cock, then shorten the plastic pipe - remember to refit the insert into it - and shove the coupler back onto it.

Personally, I would have prefered to have the whole thing in copper with not a bit of plastic anywhere on the job, but I'm old fashioned.

Well they seemed to be having a bit of bother with lunatics running around with guns and shooting people through the knee caps at the time and I'm rather fond of mine.

Is that all :)

hmm, i meant that the old bonding clamp is seized, I didn't try for long but the screw started to snap so i can't reuse that clamp, and as far as I'm aware the stop cock is old but functional still....

So that short bit of copper after the stop cock still needs a main bond?
I think the rest of the pipe before the stopcock is wrapped in something, im not sure. it was all a mess when i arrived as there was a gas leak with a drop of 8.5 milibar per whatever unit is used and the ceiling had been pulled down, revealing a second ceiling which was pulled down and not tidied very much at all

hmm, i meant that the old bonding clamp is seized, I didn't try for long but the screw started to snap so i can't reuse that clamp, and as far as I'm aware the stop cock is old but functional still....

So that short bit of copper after the stop cock still needs a main bond?
I think the rest of the pipe before the stopcock is wrapped in something, im not sure. it was all a mess when i arrived as there was a gas leak with a drop of 8.5 milibar per whatever unit is used and the ceiling had been pulled down, revealing a second ceiling which was pulled down and not tidied very much at all

OK .. sorry I thought you meant the stop cock was seized.

As for the gas leak .. that cannot be ignored!!

Reply to Main Bonding plastic pipes in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net