Discuss Mains wired smoke / heat / CO detector question in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi Guys

We're having work done to insert an open plan kitchen-diner and snug seating area plus wood burner into already existing extension. One load bearing wall is being knocked through.

Electrician just bumped his quote up by £820 to cover replacing this consumer unit and moving it up the wall (above where the fridge will be going), breakdown:

Consumer unit replacement (even though no new circuits) = £500

Plus he's said we need new mains wired:
2 x smoke detectors (top and bottom of stairs in main house, not even area we're having work done) @ £80 each = £160
1 x heat detector in new kitchen = £80
1 x carbon monoxide detector in new snug area = £80

House built in 1982 and has one battery operated smoke detector at bottom of stairs.

1. Are these mains powered devices necessary as we'd be more than happy with the long life 10 yr battery powered devices?

2. Is it necessary to replace and test etc. the original consumer unit (photo below)?

Mains wired smoke / heat / CO detector question consumer unit - EletriciansForums.net

On the face of it there's no requirement to swap out a perfectly good distribution board. It may not be the very latest but is still fit for purpose and a very good make.

As for smokes/heat/Co detectors etc as I'm guessing yours is a private property then there's no requirement for mains powered devices although they are my preferred option.

Has the electrician mentioned membership of any scheme such as NICEIC/STROMA/NAPIT etc?

I would seek quotes from another two electricians, if you know anyone that could recommend one then great if not post up a rough location then I'm sure a forum member would be close by and able to quote for you.

On the face of it there's no requirement to swap out a perfectly good distribution board. It may not be the very latest but is still fit for purpose and a very good make.

As for smokes/heat/Co detectors etc as I'm guessing yours is a private property then there's no requirement for mains powered devices although they are my preferred option.

Has the electrician mentioned membership of any scheme such as NICEIC/STROMA/NAPIT etc?

I would seek quotes from another two electricians, if you know anyone that could recommend one then great if not post up a rough location then I'm sure a forum member would be close by and able to quote for you.

Thanks Strima, appreciate the reply. Electrician hasn't mentioned any schemes.

I'm in Selby area, North Yorkshire. As a new member to the forum I didn't really know how local to put my location so will update. Also, yes, private property, thanks.

open that cover of the consumer unit ,so we can see if it justifies that price ,was their any testing done .
That's the original consumer unit, installed prior to us purchasing the property.

love when the ops put location uk ,their has well put the moon ,where I'm on .;)
As a new member I didn't know how local to put my location, as a bit of sound advice you could have replied in a friendlier manner to say that providing a local location would allow for local quotes etc. Thanks.

House built in 1982 and has one battery operated smoke detector at bottom of stairs.

1. Are these mains powered devices necessary as we'd be more than happy with the long life 10 yr battery powered devices?
We're having work done to insert an open plan kitchen-diner and snug seating area plus wood burner into already existing extension
death by fire or sleep and you will not wake up, you choose .

You don’t have to have mains wired interlinked alarms, as already stated.

However, as you are having building work down, with building control involvement? Do they have any stipulations, I had to go for mains powered ones a few years back with my extension.

You don’t have to have mains wired interlinked alarms, as already stated.

However, as you are having building work down, with building control involvement? Do they have any stipulations, I had to go for mains powered ones a few years back with my extension.
Thanks Midwest

Yes, I should have said in the OP, building control will be involved, sorry about that. I've just called building control to check and they ummed and arred a bit before saying mains wired would not be required, didn't fill me with confidence to be honest.

Thanks everyone.

Just had a chat with electrician and explained what building control said about not needing mains powered sensors. He's said to check with main builder and the building inspector, so will do that.

He also says because the consumer unit is being moved it needs to adhere to updated regs, so we need a new "gen-18 unit" and "these are a bit more pricey than they used to be". - Can anyone confirm if this is the case?

Losing the will a bit here, phew.

Hmmm. How far is CU moving, and are any of the circuits being extended?
CU is moving about 6ft up the wall it's currently fixed to, mains cable runs up the same wall.

We've not anticipated any circuits being extended as the current rooms already have lights, sockets, oven etc. circuits in them. There will be some moving of wiring but doubt there'll be additional circuits needed. There are 3 spare module slots in the current CU if that makes any difference.

Reply to Mains wired smoke / heat / CO detector question in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock