Discuss Making electric car seat work out of the car as a stand alone chair. in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a project to make a range rover evoque seat working outside of the car, Just the motion controls.

I have a 12v 30amp step down transformer to give it power.

Is anyone able to give me some guidance? I belive I just need to supply power, neutral, ground to the motor.

Happy to give a ÂŁ10 site donation once all working, as it will be a flying visit im just popping here for the look for help from technically minded folk, sadly I can't contribute further.

It's a l538 seat, picture attached of the seat I grabbed off ebay.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210316_012624_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 13
first you need a 12V D.C. supply. then use a battery and a meter to determine the current drawn in operation. say it's 10A, you will need a 15A 12v. D.C. PSU.

Hi all,

I have a project to make a range rover evoque seat working outside of the car, Just the motion controls.

I have a 12v 30amp step down transformer to give it power.

Is anyone able to give me some guidance? I belive I just need to supply power, neutral, ground to the motor.

Happy to give a ÂŁ10 site donation once all working, as it will be a flying visit im just popping here for the look for help from technically minded folk, sadly I can't contribute further.

It's a l538 seat, picture attached of the seat I grabbed off ebay.
Is your TX AC or DC

the motor/s provide several functions. back/forward/tilt/etc. do you want allof them to work? if so you appy the 12V to the switches via a suitable fuse. connect -ve to the chassis side of the seat. heated seat as well?

the motor/s provide several functions. back/forward/tilt/etc. do you want allof them to work? if so you appy the 12V to the switches via a suitable fuse. connect -ve to the chassis side of the seat. heated seat as well?
Hi, I'm not too bothered if the heat works or not, but need all the movement functions.

The seat module is built into the seat, and as the seat rating is 30amp, do I need a fuse after the transformer as the transformer is 12v 30amp, so can I just use a 30amp fuse in the plug on the 240 side?

So there will be a 3 pin plug that goes into the 240v side, with a 30amp fuse inside.
My wire goes from the 240v plug into the transformer where it drops down to 12v 30amp.
From there is where I'm stuck.

Here's the wiring diagram if it helps? :

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210316_174048_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 14
Oh, and also don't want the airbag blowing off ?

If it has an airbag module contained in the seat I remove it carefully before you do anything more. It's very easy to get connections wrong on multipole connectors which may not have a clear numbering scheme.

The point SparkyChic made,regarding seat airbags,is important - they can injure and worse.

Usually they are connected independently,with unique looking,coloured connectors.....you need to first identify,and remove these.

If the single supply fuse,is 30 amps,you just need one in the supply cable,12v input side.

If i was making a piece of bespoke,automotive related lounge art,i would consider having a 12v battery,concealed in the mount or base,and recharge occasionally.

The Transformer set up,will probably mean having your trailing lead,being 240v,and risk being damaged or in the way....or merely detracting from the art-installations stand-alone impressiveness ?

Thank you and the airbag point formally noted.

Sadly its not for funky art... But its a million times cooler ?

It's for my Mario kart arcade racing machine , the old plastic arcade seats are horrendous and make the game unplayable after 20 mins of sitting down ?

Hi, can anyone help me any further?
Hi i have just put some seats in my vw lt35 from a 2017 evoque. Only so far got the movement bit working but not the lumbar support or heat yet. I will check the wiring notes tonight and get back to you. From memory the passenger seat needs 3 wires connecting. Red and grey for +ve and 2 black wires for -ve this will give you the movement needed and i fused this with a 10amp fuse. I will double check tonight and find the colours gor drivers seat

Hi i have just put some seats in my vw lt35 from a 2017 evoque. Only so far got the movement bit working but not the lumbar support or heat yet. I will check the wiring notes tonight and get back to you. From memory the passenger seat needs 3 wires connecting. Red and grey for +ve and 2 black wires for -ve this will give you the movement needed and i fused this with a 10amp fuse. I will double check tonight and find the colours gor drivers seat
Hi
Thank you!
Mine seem to be a little different l can't make heads or tails of it!

Attachments

• IMG_20210322_105820.jpg
    472.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210322_105856.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210322_105920.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20210322_105930.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 10
Hi
Thank you!
Mine seem to be a little different l can't make heads or tails of it!
Ok so you have the passenger seat not drivers so the wiring diagram you have will not make sense this is the one that will make sense.Screenshot_20210322-120933_Drive.jpgScreenshot_20210322-120957_Drive.jpg
So these wires should make more sense
Screenshot_20210322-121023_Google.jpg
So you need the plug on the left in the pic above. Large grey and red are where you connect +ve 12v make sure you fuse this 10 amp should be fine if you are just using movement. The 2 thick black need to be connected to the -ve 12v or ground. This should give you full movement.

Ok so little disclaimer, this is what i have done on my van and it has worked for me i am only a hobbyist.

Ok so the 3 different plugs in that last pic. Left hand larger plug is the one with the wiring you need. Middle seems to be seatbelt sensor and not sure on the other 2. Most the wires are easy to follow to there function. The last on the right with 2 wires purple/grey and yellow/orange on mine seems to be airbag so i have isolated this.
Make sure you remove or isolate any connections you are not using.

Ok so the 3 different plugs in that last pic. Left hand larger plug is the one with the wiring you need. Middle seems to be seatbelt sensor and not sure on the other 2. Most the wires are easy to follow to there function. The last on the right with 2 wires purple/grey and yellow/orange on mine seems to be airbag so i have isolated this.
Make sure you remove or isolate any connections you are not using.
Top job thank you very much :)
Full motion now works, if you figure out lumbar please do let me know!

What charity would you like a ÂŁ10 donation sent too?

Reply to Making electric car seat work out of the car as a stand alone chair. in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net