Discuss manufacturer's instructions vs common sense! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Exactly... Electrically fine but not a convincing plan overall. While we can concoct all sorts of unlikely 'future developments' that would require 10mm² for the socket outlets, we can predict the future use of a cooker circuit with more certainty. Cookers are usually replaced by cookers, and the next cooker might require 6mm². If the existing cooker turns out to be a poor choice and gets replaced in a couple of years, it would be a shame to have to rewire so soon.

I suppose if you do use 4mm and the maufacturers instructions have said 6mm you may invalidate any warranty. Common sense doesn't seem to play much of a part with regards insurance companies!

Infact quite a lot of maunufacturers instructions do seem to say 6mm!

It seems as though you've based the 4mm on this one cooker, which could cause problems for the future when it gets changed. If it was a short run why didn't you just use the standard 6mm Eddie, it would't have been much of a difference in cost?

Ahh that old chestnut I suppose if a long run was needed and 10mm² was used that would invalidate the warranty as well, no doubt we'll have somebody come on and say they would code it as C1 on an EICR as the manufacturers said 6mm² and only 4mm² was installed

I think all rings should be 10mm, no more discussions on unbalanced rings then :smiley2:

Can you recommend some sockets where I don't need to reduce the CSA to get two 10mm² cables in the terminals :grin:

Can you recommend some sockets where I don't need to reduce the CSA to get two 10mm² cables in the terminals :grin:

23810878.jpg

Hope this helps :)

:troll:Hmm, using a conductive material for the socket body, using a poorer conductor for the earthing instead of copper (but upping the CSA), positioning earthing terminals in line with the route the spanner will need to take to undo the live terminals(Which MK did anyway), requiring a 47mm+ back box, I can see some problems.:prrr::crazy:

However ease of termination of my 1.5mm² spur should be easy!
Should not be any problem with connecting the cpcs.
I am still not convinced that dressing the cables in will be easy:nono:.

Good try and definitely future proofed... until they abolish the ring circuit (not so sure about present proofed!)
I will go for my 20A radial with 2.5mm² conductors.:smile:

Oh yes and it would probably look like Ferg's picture on the wall (but that is just getting people acclimatised)

I think it's about time sockets came prewired with 20mtrs of 2.5mm x 3, already connected, would save all this loose screw problem and torque setting.

They could even come with the back box fixed so all you needed was a hole in the wall.

If you didn't need the 3rd (spur ) cable it could be coiled up at the back in a slightly deeper hole and used for future-proofing.

:troll:Hmm, using a conductive material for the socket body, using a poorer conductor for the earthing instead of copper (but upping the CSA), positioning earthing terminals in line with the route the spanner will need to take to undo the live terminals(Which MK did anyway), requiring a 47mm+ back box, I can see some problems.:prrr::crazy:

However ease of termination of my 1.5mm² spur should be easy!
Should not be any problem with connecting the cpcs.
I am still not convinced that dressing the cables in will be easy:nono:.

Good try and definitely future proofed... until they abolish the ring circuit (not so sure about present proofed!)
I will go for my 20A radial with 2.5mm² conductors.:smile:

Oh yes and it would probably look like Ferg's picture on the wall (but that is just getting people acclimatised)

You're just being picky Richard... At £34.50 each I'll sell a million!:smiley2:

You're just being picky Richard... At £34.50 each I'll sell a million!:smiley2:
If you can sell a million, go for it, why not, I cannot see any particular safety issues with it (apart from the conductive construction)
and I am sure that once you have your £34.5million, you probably will not care:grin:

However you have just posted your design on a public forum, so I am off to get them made!

Reply to manufacturer's instructions vs common sense! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net