Discuss manufacturer's instructions vs common sense! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'd be more concerned with if the manuf specified a type of cable for the final connection, any info regarding that?

Didn't they change the wording in the regs recently regarding manufacturers instructions or is the the next amendment a change of wording was proposed?

Didn't they change the wording in the regs recently regarding manufacturers instructions or is the the next amendment a change of wording was proposed?

There was an addendum in 2012 to reg 314.1.1 that stated
"Regulation 134.1.1 states that manufacturers instructions for electrical equipment must be followed. This must be adhered to unless the instructions in question have been produced by a person or persons whose brain has been removed and replaced with a moistened grapefruit. In this situation electrically skilled persons my elect to discard said information or retain it for later use during toilet break"

At least I think that's what it said ....

I suppose if you do use 4mm and the maufacturers instructions have said 6mm you may invalidate any warranty. Common sense doesn't seem to play much of a part with regards insurance companies!

Infact quite a lot of maunufacturers instructions do seem to say 6mm!

It seems as though you've based the 4mm on this one cooker, which could cause problems for the future when it gets changed. If it was a short run why didn't you just use the standard 6mm Eddie, it would't have been much of a difference in cost?

I suppose if you do use 4mm and the maufacturers instructions have said 6mm you may invalidate any warranty. Common sense doesn't seem to play much of a part with regards insurance companies!

Infact quite a lot of maunufacturers instructions do seem to say 6mm!

It seems as though you've based the 4mm on this one cooker, which could cause problems for the future when it gets changed. If it was a short run why didn't you just use the standard 6mm Eddie, it would't have been much of a difference in cost?

i hope you have one of these handy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 66
He hasn't. I put it on after posting #23!

Quite looking forward to this!

I've either said something silly (which is extremely possible!!) or there simply is nothing wrong with 4mm!!

Cant be too bad if the experienced Murdoch said it too, so I feel fairly safe :smiley2:

As has already been said earlier, how can a manufacturer recommend a cable size without knowing installation method, Ze, length of cable?

If it was a short run why didn't you just use the standard 6mm Eddie, it would't have been much of a difference in cost?

Since when did any type of circuit have "standard" cable for it?

As has already been said earlier, how can a manufacturer recommend a cable size without knowing installation method, Ze, length of cable?

Since when did any type of circuit have "standard" cable for it?

To the first part Dillb.. I can't see where I have justified the maufacturers instructions with regards their choice of cable?

And to the second.. perhaps a poor choice of words 'standard'. But answer me honestly what size cable do you most often find in houses coming from the CU to the DP cooker switch? That doesn't mean 6mm is 'the' cable for cookers, but why not put it in rather than 4mm for future proofing?

It doesn't what is usually selected, it should be properly selected. Why future proof a cooker circuit? Would you install a larger cable for a fan oven just in case?

You tried to justify the manufacturers instructions by saying it will invalidate the warranty, how the hell will that happen if the cable is selected correctly?

Future proofing lol.

Thats like wiring a socket in 10mm2 cable beacuse one day someone may move into the house and want to connect a welder to the cable lol haha

Sorry Dillb, No offence meant but I think whatever I say you'll find fault, that seems to be your style. Its ok for you to be wrong sometimes you know. :smiley2:

Future proofing lol.

Thats like wiring a socket in 10mm2 cable beacuse one day someone may move into the house and want to connect a welder to the cable lol haha

Come on Mike. What would you generally use for a cooker when your doing a new build?

Come on Mike. What would you generally use for a cooker when your doing a new build?
A 6mm2 like you fella, but the OP had been told it was only 6.8kw, so he decided to stick a 4mm2 in, no issue with that under the circumstances, admittedly I would use a 6mm2, thats because I don't carry 4mm2 as standard on the Van.

Future proofing lol.

I think all rings should be 10mm, no more discussions on unbalanced rings then :smiley2:

in the manufacturer's data it says that you need to install in 6mm t&e.

When I see things like this I always wonder is the manufacturer seriously suggesting that using singles in containment is not acceptable? They shouldn't specify type of cable like that let alone the csa.

I've noticed a lot more of the kit I install has " If in doubt consult a qualified electrician"

TBF I do this anyway.

I consult myself, browse the instructions for any new jokes and then do what I feel is the right thing to do.

Basically i wouldn't fluff around installing a 4mm cable for a cooker point. The so-called standard arrangement for a typical domestic cooker point, has been 6mm cable with an OCPD of 32A (or 7/044 /30A OCPD) based on upto a 15 KW load, and has been so now for well over 60+ years....

Reply to manufacturer's instructions vs common sense! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net