Discuss Max circuit length for LEDs powered by constant current driver. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Pretty Mouth

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all. Constant current LED lighting is a new concept to me. Not that difficult to get the head around, but I cannot find an answer to the following question:

How do I determine the maximum length of a ELV LED lighting circuit powered by a constant current driver?

For a constant voltage ELV circuit, a 5% voltage drop is the limiting factor - straightforward enough. For constant current, the voltage will rise (within its limits) to maintain the steady current, so a voltage drop calculation cannot be made.

I thought maybe this could be calculated by taking any surplus power from the driver, and allowing this be lost on the cable. From that, a resistance could be calculated from which a cable length could be determined.

For example:

Driver: 350mA, 9W
Load: 6W
Therefore surplus available power = 3W.

R=V/I

V cannot be determined, so let's use V=P/I, giving:

R = P/I²

R = 3/.35² = 24.5 ohms, which can be converted to a length of conductor of a chosen cross section.

Please let me know what you think, am I barking up the very wrong tree?

Hi all. Constant current LED lighting is a new concept to me. Not that difficult to get the head around, but I cannot find an answer to the following question:

How do I determine the maximum length of a ELV LED lighting circuit powered by a constant current driver?

For a constant voltage ELV circuit, a 5% voltage drop is the limiting factor - straightforward enough. For constant current, the voltage will rise (within its limits) to maintain the steady current, so a voltage drop calculation cannot be made.

I thought maybe this could be calculated by taking any surplus power from the driver, and allowing this be lost on the cable. From that, a resistance could be calculated from which a cable length could be determined.

For example:

Driver: 350mA, 9W
Load: 6W
Therefore surplus available power = 3W.

R=V/I

V cannot be determined, so let's use V=P/I, giving:

R = P/I²

R = 3/.35² = 24.5 ohms, which can be converted to a length of conductor of a chosen cross section.

Please let me know what you think, am I barking up the very wrong tree?
Yep barking up wrong tree.
A practical experiment would give you better answers. Keep adding cable until the lights fail. Also over certain lengths you can put a resistor in parrralel to make them work. You can also use bigger cable. Constant current, means connected in series right? Something else to think about. Also the voltage will only go down, can't see it going up.

Constant current, means connected in series right? Something else to think about. Also the voltage will only go down, can't see it going up.

Constant current means that the source of power delivers a constant current and varying voltage, which is the opposite to our normal supplies which are constant voltage. Loads are usually connected in series yes, but that is not the same as saying 'constant current means connected in series'

The voltage will increase to maintain the current as the length of cable increases.

For constant current, the voltage will rise (within its limits) to maintain the steady current, so a voltage drop calculation cannot be made.
I didn't word this very well in my OP, @davesparks explains it much better:

Constant current means that the source of power delivers a constant current and varying voltage, which is the opposite to our normal supplies which are constant voltage. Loads are usually connected in series yes, but that is not the same as saying 'constant current means connected in series'

The voltage will increase to maintain the current as the length of cable increases.

A 350mA constant current driver will deliver that current all the time.
So as you say, the voltage will rise and fall to provide that current exactly.
The power supply should have a voltage output range like 12v to 36v
If you know the load applied, you could work out it’s resistance.
You could then consider the cable to be a resistor in series.
If you need 12v across the load then you have a spare 24v to drop along the cable length.
V=I x r
R= v / i
= 24 / 0.35
=68.6 ohm max cable resistance

My head hurts too, need to sketch this out to be sure but I think I am on the right track.

I’ve just read your original post at 0700 and now my head hurts ?
Is that due to the enormous complexity of the subject at hand, or the fact that it's clearly written by a simpleton trying to understand something beyond his skill set?
A 350mA constant current driver will deliver that current all the time.
So as you say, the voltage will rise and fall to provide that current exactly.
The power supply should have a voltage output range like 12v to 36v
If you know the load applied, you could work out it’s resistance.
You could then consider the cable to be a resistor in series.
If you need 12v across the load then you have a spare 24v to drop along the cable length.
V=I x r
R= v / i
= 24 / 0.35
=68.6 ohm max cable resistance

My head hurts too, need to sketch this out to be sure but I think I am on the right track.
Thanks for the reply @James . I'm glad it's not just me getting a headache from this, it's rather tricky to get your head around isn't it? What you say seems to make sense, I'm going to attempt an example:

These are the specs for a meanwell APC-8-350:

Rated current 350mA
Operating voltage range 11~23V
Rated power 8.05W.

Using P = VI,
P = 23X.35 = 8.05W, which confirms the above rated power.

Let's use 6W of lighting, and find the voltage across it:

V = P/I
V = 6/0.35 = 17.14V across the lighting

Now max. driver voltage, minus lighting voltage = 'spare' voltage
23V - 17.14V = 5.86V

Now the max. resistance of the cable:
R = V/I
R = 5.86/.35 = 16.74 ohms.

Can get quite a nice long cable out of that!

Ok, I'm going to try the method I proposed in my OP, with the same driver and 6W lights, see if I get the same result.

So first find the surplus available power:

8.05 - 6 = 2.05W

R = V/I, and V = P/I, so:
R = P/I²
R = 2.05/.35² = 16.73 ohms!

Same result, just a different way of getting there. Thanks again @James , I'm fairly happy with this now :)

Ok, I'm going to try the method I proposed in my OP, with the same driver and 6W lights, see if I get the same result.

So first find the surplus available power:

8.05 - 6 = 2.05W

R = V/I, and V = P/I, so:
R = P/I²
R = 2.05/.35² = 16.73 ohms!

Same result, just a different way of getting there. Thanks again @James , I'm fairly happy with this now :)
Well done
I'm struggling to see how a spark would know this. Certainly way above the thinking of any installer.

Reply to Max circuit length for LEDs powered by constant current driver. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock