Discuss Max floor area of a ring main? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Crosswire

I always thought that you were allowed "unlimited socket outlets within 100m Sq."

I got told today that if the floor area was above 75m Sq it required an addittonal ring and this was the "new Regs" .

Is this correct?

BG will tell him it's dangerous and needs replacing, before putting the socket tester away.

is this helpful.. 75sq.m. = bullsh!te. IMO.

Just to be helpful - nothing has changed with 'historical' rec's - but that has been frowned upon by anyone who is familiar with modern demands on a ring. I'ts not rocket science to know that as telectrix says, it's bull. Use initiative and calcs.

Hi Crosswire
As you can probably tell, the general consensus here is that the info you've been given is bull poo.
is there a job you're on with more than said floor space? also, who told you this duff info?

Just to be helpful - nothing has changed with 'historical' rec's - but that has been frowned upon by anyone who is familiar with modern demands on a ring. I'ts not rocket science to know that as telectrix says, it's bull. Use initiative and calcs.

Thanks for that, I though so but wanted confirmation

Hi Crosswire
As you can probably tell, the general consensus here is that the info you've been given is bull poo.
is there a job you're on with more than said floor space? also, who told you this duff info?

It was another sparks on the job who is putting two general rings into a 3 bed flat that has atotal of 12 double sockets, on the basis that the floor area is 84 sq meters. (also kitchen ring, so three in total)

I always thought that you were allowed "unlimited socket outlets within 100m Sq."

I got told today that if the floor area was above 75m Sq it required an addittonal ring and this was the "new Regs" .

Is this correct?

There used to be guidelines many moons ago, but i cant remember what they were, and they are irrelevant now anyway.
When you construct a ring (or any other circuit), you need to consider the loading, so if you were to install a ring into 4 bedrooms, and put 4 twin outlets in each room, and SFCU for a boiler or whatever, you wont have problem with loading, no matter how many tellys, laptops etc etc gets plugged in, you will not exceed the cable rating. But put a kitchen, utility room, garage on one circuit with unlimited outlets than you may encounter problems.

It all comes down to using a bit of common sense, and looking at the info available to you. If you look in the electricians guide to the building regs, there are guidelines as to how many outlets you should provide in each location, but they are only guidelines. You need to consider inconvenience in the event of a fault, so would it be a good idea to shove a 125m ring in? i doubt it, cos all the sockets might go off at once. You are correct in your assumption that you can have unlimited sockets on a ring, you can on a radial as well, but it all comes down to common sense. You can also spur from each unlimited socket once. When you design and construct any circuit, you need to ensure compliance to the regs, so think about Zs values and volt drop when calculating the length.

Cheers..........Howard

There used to be guidelines many moons ago, but i cant remember what they were, and they are irrelevant now anyway.
When you construct a ring (or any other circuit), you need to consider the loading, so if you were to install a ring into 4 bedrooms, and put 4 twin outlets in each room, and SFCU for a boiler or whatever, you wont have problem with loading, no matter how many tellys, laptops etc etc gets plugged in, you will not exceed the cable rating. But put a kitchen, utility room, garage on one circuit with unlimited outlets than you may encounter problems.

It all comes down to using a bit of common sense, and looking at the info available to you. If you look in the electricians guide to the building regs, there are guidelines as to how many outlets you should provide in each location, but they are only guidelines. You need to consider inconvenience in the event of a fault, so would it be a good idea to shove a 125m ring in? i doubt it, cos all the sockets might go off at once. You are correct in your assumption that you can have unlimited sockets on a ring, you can on a radial as well, but it all comes down to common sense. You can also spur from each unlimited socket once. When you design and construct any circuit, you need to ensure compliance to the regs, so think about Zs values and volt drop when calculating the length.

Cheers..........Howard

I agree with everything you have said, except for unlimited sockets on a radial circuit.

Reply to Max floor area of a ring main? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net