Discuss Metal Consumer unit with SWA bottom entry in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Got a job to replace an old metal Wylex CU (domestic). SWA is embedded in the wall except the last 300mm (or so) and then comes out and enters CU via a gland.

Obviously looking at a metal replacement and have been looking at the new Hager options but these don't look like they'll take a bottom entry SWA very easily. Busbar seems very close to bottom of CU. Swa is 25mm, so not that easily bend to avoid, and there isn't the usual space next to the incomer switch as found on the plastic versions.

Any suggestions?

Is the swa feeding the board, or is it an sub circuit.?

Feeding the board.

Also to note, consumer unit is tucked up tight to the ceiling and no room to fit adaptable boxes unless I start ripping the SWA out of the wall further down, which i don't want to do, and even if I do the cores of the swa probably wouldn't stretch through an adaptable box and then to the main switch.

Also can't bring CU down because outgoing cables won't reach!

Might be a bit of a hassle but could you chase in the rest of the SWA and chase a 4X4 metal adaptable box into the wall and gland into that. Then mount your CU over the top of the faceless adaptable box and bring the cores in through the rear knockouts of the CU?

I think you need to pull some more of the SWA out of the wall. A bit of boxing-in afterwards perhaps? Sounds a bit of a struggle. Though I quite like Ryans suggestion. Good luck with it!

Good grief some people really do like to make a mountain out of a molehill!

The OP wants suggestions for a board with a bit more room between the busbar and the bottom of the enclosure and this somehow turns in to a job of chasing cables in, adding switchfuses.........

Reply to Metal Consumer unit with SWA bottom entry in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net