Discuss new consumer unit wrong cable size?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

pecker

Hi there

I am after some advice regarding some work being done in my house by a qualified electrcian (qualifications verified). I have had a new 2 storey extension built and the electrician has created a new circuit for both the ligts and power for both of these via a new consumer unit which he will be fitting when all the plastering has been completed. The new extension will have approx 8 - 10 double sockets powering the usual things like freezer, washing machine, dryer and unlikely to all be in use at the same time. This new consumer unit will also have the extension lighting as well as feed the new gas and electric cooker although the rest of the kitchen is still on teh old circuit ring. all this is being fed from a circuit breaker from the existing mains circuit in another room.

One of the builders has mentioned that he has used 6mm twin and earth cable as the feed for this and it wont be big enough to carry the load? Not having much knowledge on electrics which is why i hired a qualified person is this going to be ok or should i be challenging him about this? He is a nice guy and as you would expect seems to know what he is doing but i am worried that this may cause problems in the future. As i mentioned i dont know much about electrics and if he says anything i can only take it on face value and couldnt challenge him on it not that i am looking to do it unless i have too.

Any advice would be great and if you need more info please let me know.

Thanks

IF IT WASN'T FOR THE ELECTRIC COOKER, I'D SAY 6MM, CLIPPED DIRECT WOULD BE OK. ALL DEPENDS ON WHETHER THE COOKER HAS A FITTED 13a PLUG OR IS OF A HIGHER RATING. opps, bloody fat fingersa nd caps lock. lol.

If the circuit breaker in the main consumer unit is a 40A breaker then the cable will not be able to be overloaded. (as Murdoch says, depending on the installation method)

With sockets, lights and, hopefully, a single standard domestic electric oven with a gas hob then the cable would be OK for this load. (as Tel says, so long as the oven could be installed on standard plug).

the cooker is going to be wired to a switched neon spur / cooker switch if that is what you mean. What do i need to look for on the box as the cooker is unopened in my garage at the moment. As for the 6mm cable he has made sure it is all clipped up and tide on the joists. Thanks for the advice it has made me feel a bit easier about it now...THANK YOU

look for the rating this will be in watts or kWatts.

Reply to new consumer unit wrong cable size?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net