NAPIT Certification Scheme Niceic or napit

Discuss Niceic or napit in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The reason is...which is the cheapest.

You obviouslly don't have to be a member of any scam, but most client's prefer too see some sort of logo

How will you notify domestic work to building control without paying a lot more to the other robbers? And at the same time remain profitable and competive?

If its just to self certify domestic work, go with which evers cheapest.

I myself have gone back with the niccy after starting for myself again back in November after working for a company for five and half years. As a small number of my customers are ISO 9000 and they can only use ISO/UKAS accredited suppliers and services.

From what I understand but haven't really looked into it, the other schemes don't have the same recognition with ISO. And I believe only the niccy registered and the ECA bonded companies require you to be a bonafide/fully qualified electrician. Possessing City and Guilds 1 and 2 and equivalent to join them, in addition with the latest version of BS 7671 City and Guilds, to be a qualified supervisor that over sees the quality of design, installation, and testing of electrical installations.
And they do have a very long pedigree, the niccy going back over 50 years, and the ECA going back since after the second world war. Continuing with the support and the development of electrical safety in the UK in harmony with the IET, and British Standards codes of practice.

Whereas the others don't, but there are other benefits with Nappit, as you can notify other areas of work without additional membership with other shemes. It all about horses for causes, and how far you want to go with your business and type of work that you want to undertake.

Oh chillywilly,I read that and for one moment I had this vision of you as the lead man at the Niceic marketing department
icon12.png

I must congratulate you on the post,have you ever tried selling ice to the eskimos ? or even sand to the Saudis
You have turned a very dangerous system used by the Niceic ( Qualifying supervisor ) and made it sound as if it was a system that gave surety and confidence of competence for its services by the member companies
icon6.png

Such a success in covering up the dangerous incompetent system employed by the organisation deserves much respect
I know myself,I would never have had the imagination that would be required to make such a cover version.so well done to you sir
icon14.png

It is my understanding that Napit are indeed iso accredited

Please don't be offended,its only these scam systems that let us all down
icon9.png

No offence taken my learned friend, I was suggesting that they chose the cheapest scheme if its only just for notifying jobs.

The qualified supervisor has to be on the ball with all aspects related to electrical safety, and has to be a bonafide electrician to qualify as one. And is continually monitored and expected to have the minimum level of experience and technical knowledge. The niccy inspector will sniff out any person not having the technical knowledge or experience, or such work that falls below the expected standard of that required by its members during the inspection, or by complaint from the customer or another contractor either niccy registered or not. The standard being that expected from any bonafide electrician.

In the case of a niccy firm carrying out work up to standard made ready for inspection by them, and then carrying out work below standard not ever getting inspected does go on, this I do know because I've walked or been fired from companies that have such practices, and I refused to work to such a poor standard. But if the niccy do find out, the customer will be notified of it, and they will have to bring the work up to the minimum standard at their own cost and not to the customer. Also an inspection of the work will be required at a further cost to the member company.

In the event of the niccy firm not bringing the work up to standard, they will be removed from the role of registered contractors and risk loosing their customer base that requires the niccy endorsement for electrical contractors. And may be sued for breach of contract by the customer making the complaint, or being made aware that the work is below standard with the added support of the niccy against the contractor.

This is why certain companies, organisations, authorities, and the like recognise the niccy endorsement, as do their insurance companies, and the business system standard they operate within. As for NAPPIT having the ISO standard, I didn't know about that. But I think they have a long way to go until the niccy or the ECA start having to compete for gaining or retaining their members.

I'm not endorsing any of the scheme providers/accrediting organisations, but if your wanting your business to climb or just to notify jobs to building control so your customer can sell their home, or put their mind at ease. You will need to be a member of one of them, depending on your customer base. I myself re joined the niccy, because I have been familar with their policies for over 30 years. And to be honest I think they are a professional organisation to deal with, despite some of the minor snags they can find on some of the jobs, especially when they didn't find it on the previous job. But I suppose they have to find something otherwise it might look like thier not doing their job?

As I have previously commented on other posts, until we have a licencing system in the UK for electricians that's with you for life like they have in Canada, but with the difference that all work is certified and traceable. And with the option of dispensation from the client regarding departures so work can be straight forward again, they will always be ill gotten gains in the guise of schemes.

It could be also set up like Gas Safe, where they themselves can inspect work as when they feel it neccessary without the contractor being present, this could be carried out by insurance companies, or the network operator carrying out sampling tests.

the problem with the QS position in my opinion, is that you dont need 2391 to be one, we have 5 QS at my place of work, and from what i know only 2 have the qualification, and across the 33 people working in the electrical department on the tools, only 4 have it. yet the NICEIC seem to think its not important. yet we do on average about 6 DEICR per day

If its just to self certify domestic work, go with which evers cheapest. At the end of the day you shouldn't need to phone technical help lines every day.
In an ideal world. Nothing wrong with it though. I spent most days in a three week period on the phone to them due to a tricky customer. Customer wanting more and more yet ignoring that the invoice for original work that was well overdue, i had even sent notices of this fact. I didn't know legally what I could do about it. I was glad of the service otherwise I would have been truly **** on after doing all the extras.
If people don't need technical help why is this forum available???? There's NO-ONE except NAPIT technical that I can get advice from, they helped me format my first invoice. Its good to know there's somewhere you can go for a second opinion if you want one without being made to look stupid.

Simple case is.... If your doing domestic direct for the householder then any of them will do, if you want to work for trusts, big company's, local authority or even in some cases the bigger letting agents, you need to be with the NicEic I've lost count the amount of times I have had to give a copy of my registration cert to clients!

And for the record in almost 3 years I have had not one bit of bother with the NIC.

the problem with the QS position in my opinion, is that you dont need 2391 to be one, we have 5 QS at my place of work, and from what i know only 2 have the qualification, and across the 33 people working in the electrical department on the tools, only 4 have it. yet the NICEIC seem to think its not important. yet we do on average about 6 DEICR per day

Yes I am one them QS without the 2391, I have to gain it within the next 12 months despite the fact I won't learn anything or be picked up on? My previous position held as a QS and as a duty holder in my other company satisfied their requirements for now, as we still bounced off each other.

Ive never had any problems with the niceic, since going Approved contractor have got loads more commercial and insurance testing work too

never once been asked if i was napit registered

never once been asked if i was elecsa registered

always get asked if im niceic registered

get a fair bit of work passed onto me by sparks who aint niceic registered, but their client requires it so they have had to pass it on

Pay me fee and see them once a year and thats pretty much it! same as the others

Surely anyone with an ounce of business sense would see its a no brainer?!

maybe ive just been lucky?

Ive never had any problems with the niceic, since going Approved contractor have got loads more commercial and insurance testing work too

never once been asked if i was napit registered

never once been asked if i was elecsa registered

always get asked if im niceic registered

get a fair bit of work passed onto me by sparks who aint niceic registered, but their client requires it so they have had to pass it on

Pay me fee and see them once a year and thats pretty much it! same as the others

Surely anyone with an ounce of business sense would see its a no brainer?!

maybe ive just been lucky?

Think alot of it depends what part of the country you're in welchy ...up around North Yorkshire, although the NIC are still prominent most are now with elecsa and it's probably just as well known now here.

I work in schools and for council sometimes local authority and for whatever reason they will only consider NIC approved in my area.

That's the same for schools and councils in most places for some reason. Schools accept elecsa around here (well some do) but for councils, i think nationwide they've had it engraved into there heads that the only way is NIC.

Reply to Niceic or napit in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net