Discuss No earths on some many houses. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jimmyb

Why is it the hallway and some switches seems left out on earths in so many houses, i mean no earth wire within the cable for them but most of the house wired in t&e or ive found where they just have bothered with connecting the earth is there a reason for this

Was this wire ever legal stuff ? and is it just lazyiness when they havnt connected it ?

What is it vir? Tinned stranded? Copper stranded? early single core pvc sheath?.......all were to regs on the edition that they were available (but possibly not when installed)..lol....

Houses prior to 1965 were 13th edition I think which meant no CPC on lighting circuits, bit of a pain now but does not always mean a rewire. there was a good thread on this a couple of days ago - lighting circuit no cpc

Not 13th (well into 70's). Domestic lighting required cpc. Threaded steel conduit sufficient.

Houses prior to 1965 were 13th edition I think which meant no CPC on lighting circuits, bit of a pain now but does not always mean a rewire. there was a good thread on this a couple of days ago - lighting circuit no cpc
Just means no class 1 lighting (metal) Unless of course you can get a cpc back to the board..............

This has reminded me of a bodge I did a few years ago on my flat... Converted 1 way light to 2 way light using the cpc as an extra core...

How's the best way to fix this one now I've trying to do everything "properly"?

Last edited:
This has reminded me of a bodge I did a few years ago on my flat... Converted 1 way light to 2 way light using the cpc as an extra core...

Run a separate 3 core between the switches and reinstate the cpc.

What is it vir? Tinned stranded? Copper stranded? early single core pvc sheath?.......all were to regs on the edition that they were available (but possibly not when installed)..lol....

single/double/triple core pvc sheath, they must of had it left over hence why a mix of both t&e and the others, but i always find it on landings and sometimes upstairs, there must of been a lot of house wired just at the change over point lol

yer is a pain now when i tell the customer they need to replace the metal fitting or rewire and i get its been ok for the last 20years

please tell me u didnt forgot the sleeving and not to cut it too short

Reply to No earths on some many houses. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net