Discuss Oh Dear ! - Hot Tub With 13a Plug?! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Soulsurfer

-
Arms
Reaction score
Had a callout today to see a couple with concerns about the electrics to a hot tub / spa at house they've just bought this year.

They were concerned as hot tub has only a small flex attached to a 13A plug top and were pointing out a socket fitted on garden wall too.
So socket is an MK masterseal single but no switch or rcd incorporated, fed via a hanging through garage blockwork hole on a 1.0mm twin and earth flat PVC cable with no clips or protection from the elements and spurred from a fused connection unit supply side not load which also feeds boiler, motorised valve and associated timeswitch etc.. that is fed via a metal clad 2 gang socket fed from what seems is 1st floor ring final circuit via a single flat twin 2.5mm cable from house through wood boxing to seperate garage ! Socket in garage also feeds washing machine and fibre service O.N.T. then just to add insult to it all the boiler pipe earth clamps are connected via a 6mm single earth shoved into metal clad socket earth terminal with the single cpc core feeding from the house and also the cpc from the fused spur which is spurred from the first socket.

Board is old 3036 with plug in 3871's in it now. I'm trying to look into the hot tub itself as it's a strange looking bit of kit and while telling them we should remove outdoor socket and teeny 1mm twin for a start then I checked Zs from metal clad socket and that was o.k. under the 0.87 max at 80% at 0.58 ohms but the bonding clamps back to board earth terminal with an R2 wander lead was above the result to need supplementary bonding. A proper mess. Customer doesn't want to start running more bonding due to cost and route etc.. but really the single 2.5mm feeding whole lot is in need of sorting anyway. Thoughts please?
Cheers.

Price up what needs doing and tell
Them.If they ain't happy then walk. What wattage is the hot tub and what earthing arrangement is it just out of interest?

Now this is it mate ! No wattage indicated anywhere, seems made in Ontario, Canada which is usually weird 2 phase setups but this has a digi control box made by someone else in it, I only got from plate on it inside 240V supply and all fields for kW etc are all blank ? Then on top it says max current 48 Amps !! So I took pics and went off to google it and find a make like the one on Amazon but only up to 2004 but says plug and play just needs 13A socket. Inside it's american saying needs a GFCI so RCD in english which it didn't have. I think it's on TN-C-S up there but didn't look today, so was saying might want an earth rod seperate too if ever it gets sorted. Label inside says Antigua Euro Spa (Silver edition) and uses a control box by somewhere called Correct-Tech which seems to manufacture spa parts for all different spas, this one has a Mini Max Digital Control unit. So maybe lower power requirements. Earth bar attached to side panel of Mini Max but all corroded and surprise no earth attached to it !

Some tubs are just fed from a plug top, but you need to consider the earthing arrangement and the requirements of the Special Location as per Regs.

Some tubs are just fed from a plug top, but you need to consider the earthing arrangement and the requirements of the Special Location as per Regs.
If it is a plugged device why does it fall under Special Locations?

i have a similar situation. hot tub supplied by a BS1363 and flex. weatherproof socket 3m from tub, tub is all plastic and mounted on wood decking. Zs at socket is 0.5 ( pme earthing in house. ) just unsure if a rod added would be advisable. hot tubs are not something i've come across before.

i have a similar situation. hot tub supplied by a BS1363 and flex. weatherproof socket 3m from tub, tub is all plastic and mounted on wood decking. Zs at socket is 0.5 ( pme earthing in house. ) just unsure if a rod added would be advisable. hot tubs are not something i've come across before.
Most over here are via Rcd and exporting the PME to the isolator at tub, I took advice on that and as it was sometime ago but my first one installed, took earth from in cu to RCD enclosure at tub end & commando socket interlocked type then kept the Cpc there from PME seperate to cover the Swa to it & added a rod in garden from tub to TT it and all has been great since.

Reply to Oh Dear ! - Hot Tub With 13a Plug?! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net