Discuss OLCI Construction Training in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

big danny

Hi guys,
ive been searching the web for training courses to become a spark and found this company with a training centre quite close to home, Has anyone ever dealt with this company and what are the costs of doing such a course. are they actually any good and once you have completed it will i actually be qualified to take a job as an electrician or would i need further training after this ????????????????????????
i often hear you guys slating the Electrical Trainee a lot but i think my chances of doing it the right way with an employer are almost non existant so i feel i might have to take the plunge but only if it will definately benefit me

Its all a bit mumble jumble trying to find out exactly what i need to get qualified to work in the industry, im just after the basic quailifications to work as a spark and then progress in time with experience and extra training to higher levels

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Danny,
We are not picking on Electrical Trainee.

Basically I started in this game soon after leaving school.
For the first year I worked full time on site and went to college 4 nights a week.
The following year I went day release.

In those first two years in the industry I worked on a couple of alarm systems, power and lighting on several underground stations, 1st & 2nd fixing on some new build housing and some small power and lighting in some warehouses.

During this time I was an apprentice, and as a result I was under supervision from electricians.

Going on a 4, 6, or whatever week course, you will not learn how to work safely. You will not learn good working practices. Even if the training company teaches you how to do the job properly, you would never had to go into building at 1am to shut it down so that a new connection could be made on a bus bar chamber (we needed to **** down an underground station to provide a temp. Supply to some new site cabins)

These courses are designed so that you learn enough to pass an exam, not enough to become a competent electrician. If you want to get into this industry go and find a company who will employ you as an adult trainee, so that you can learn the safe way to work.

been on the phone to olci,
they offer a nvq level 3 (c&g 2357), 17th edition regulations and an am2(whatever that is).
anyway the average time for completing the course is 18-20 months im told im which to complete i need to find a work place for on the job experience for which my work would be assesed by an assessor.
price for the course £5995 - ouch

been on the phone to olci,
they offer a nvq level 3 (c&g 2357), 17th edition regulations and an am2(whatever that is).
anyway the average time for completing the course is 18-20 months im told im which to complete i need to find a work place for on the job experience for which my work would be assesed by an assessor.
price for the course £5995 - ouch

Hi Danny,
I'm sorry to here that it's going to cost £6k
I am pleased to hear that they are insisting that you get a work placement, because it means that you will be recieving some on site training.

I would point out that getting a work placement would be the hardest part of what your trying to do.
If you get a work placement, you maybe able to go to your local college and take the courses either by day release or in the evenings.

The AM2 is a practical exam, I know it's changed since my day. I would say that it will be tricky :)

good luck

they are domestic installers courses nothing to do with commercial or industrial they are run so the people on the course can join the niceic napit elecsa domestic installers register after assesment

Hi Danny,
I'm sorry to here that it's going to cost £6k
I am pleased to hear that they are insisting that you get a work placement, because it means that you will be recieving some on site training.

I would point out that getting a work placement would be the hardest part of what your trying to do.
If you get a work placement, you maybe able to go to your local college and take the courses either by day release or in the evenings.

The AM2 is a practical exam, I know it's changed since my day. I would say that it will be tricky :)

good luck

hi sparx, i did ask them about the on site job experience, i asked what would happen if i could not find a placement so that i could complete the nvq 3 and was told that if no placement could be found by the candidate then they would provide me with a work placement to do it. obviously id try to get one myself with the an a voluntry basis, i would not expect someone to pay for helping me out.

that price sounds about what i paid as well. everyone has got their own opinion of these places and for what its worth i had a good experience with olci, they got me to where i wanted to be and im working in the trade now, good route in for me.

Hi bobbyhowler,

Alana here from OLCI Construction Training.

I can see that you have been given some incorrect information. We offer the Fully Qualified Electrician course as well as the Domesitc Electrical Installers course. If you would like to discuss this further please call me on 0800 316 8100. Alternatively you can email me on [email protected] with a phone number and suitable time to call you back.

I lookforward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

Alana Fox

Hi big danny,

Alana here from OLCI Construction Training.

I can see you are looking into an electrical course with OLCI. There have been some comments posted here that I would like to clear up with you. So you can have all the correct information, please call me on 0800 316 8100. Alternatively you can email me on [email protected] with a phone number and suitable time to call you back.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

Alana Fox

Hi guys,
ive been searching the web for training courses to become a spark and found this company with a training centre quite close to home, Has anyone ever dealt with this company and what are the costs of doing such a course. are they actually any good and once you have completed it will i actually be qualified to take a job as an electrician or would i need further training after this ????????????????????????
i often hear you guys slating the Electrical Trainee a lot but i think my chances of doing it the right way with an employer are almost non existant so i feel i might have to take the plunge but only if it will definately benefit me

Its all a bit mumble jumble trying to find out exactly what i need to get qualified to work in the industry, im just after the basic quailifications to work as a spark and then progress in time with experience and extra training to higher levels
Hi, im just signing up with a gas course with OLCI. They seem pretty genuine with backing from their endorsments. I called them up. Just as advice, if you do part of your spark course, after three years, you will have to do it all again. I would advise go for full city and guilds levl 3 nvq, otherwise you are not fully qualified, only be able to do domestic or comercial. Or u run out of time have to pay for it again. They will tell you that any way.have u started yet? How is it? You can spread it over time, but go for full qualification, the way work runs nowadays with your tickets, ur better safe thann sorry.

Reply to OLCI Construction Training in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock