Discuss Outdoor socket in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sean1991

Hi.I want to put 2 christmas silhouettes at the front of my house. I'm just wondering if the socket kits you can buy from B&Q with the socket, cable & RCD plug are safe to use? I've read some stories saying they're not. Thanks

B&Q and electrical do not mix and never have no matter how much B&Q think differently. Depends upon the comment's you've heard, what do they say? Best off asking B&Q themselfs and getting a response from someone who at best has done the PartP course and thinks hes Mr.Electric. Does it have an adequate IP rating on it for a start? If not, r e f u n d.

lets not over complecate the question, as I'm not familliar with the product, can we ask for a link to it, I suspect it is okay, but won't confirm that without more info.

Thanks for the replies, I did try to post a link, but because i'm new I couldn't, but it's diy.com/nav/fix/electrical/switches-sockets/outdoor-switches-sockets/outdoor_sockets/Diall-Power-Kit-2G-13A-SW-SKT-3M-RCD-12608712?skuId=13129418 I've read some comments saying if socket kits are used wrong, they can kill you :/ & I did think about asking in B&Q but to be honest, staff at my local don't seem to know much! I did think about running it off a spur, but don't feel confident enough haha.

They seem to be lacking information, I can't seem to see any mention of what the RCD is rated at or the IP rating of the socket. Personally for outside use I would generally use armoured cable due to the risk of damage.

Ah yes we saw a picture of this on another thread yesterday, was it you who posted it up? basically it was a weatherproof socket with 5 mtrs of flex, (not sure what size) and an rcd plug to make it all work, a bit like the washing machine pipes you can buy and connect yourself by screwing into existing pipework, a DIY thingy lol. As to answer your question, yes in theory it is safe, however it would depend on how you ran the cable inside to it, providing the flex supplied is adequate in size, it is certainely something I would recommend you remove immediately after christmas as well, definately a temp thingy, horrible really but there you are.

As a temporary external supply, i can't see anything wrong with this EXTENSION LEAD, which is what it really is!! So treated as such ...No problem!! ...lol!!

Reply to Outdoor socket in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net