Search the forum,

Discuss PAT testing hand dryers, water heaters etc?? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

James sparks

Hi all

I'm wondering in anyone can enlighten me please. I did the PAT testing course a few years ago and have never really used it since the course. I had an enquiry about testing some hand dryers, waters heaters and similar in a local office.

I thought PAT....portable appliance, hand dryers.....fixed??!! and I cant find my IEE PAT book at the mo'. I must admit I've never really paid much attention to this and can't say I've noticed little green labels on hand dryers etc before. The fixed appliance wouldn't be covered by a PIR/ECR, does it get tested at all?

So in short, should it be PAT tested?

Thanks for any help!!!
James

Hi all

I'm wondering in anyone can enlighten me please. I did the PAT testing course a few years ago and have never really used it since the course. I had an enquiry about testing some hand dryers, waters heaters and similar in a local office.

I thought PAT....portable appliance, hand dryers.....fixed??!! and I cant find my IEE PAT book at the mo'. I must admit I've never really paid much attention to this and can't say I've noticed little green labels on hand dryers etc before. The fixed appliance wouldn't be covered by a PIR/ECR, does it get tested at all?

So in short, should it be PAT tested?

Thanks for any help!!!
James

Yes it should. You need to find your book or buy another one.

Cheers........Howard

For the millionth time, ban the phrase 'Portable Appliance Testing'
Think 'In Service Inspection & Testing of Electrical Equipment'

If it's not part of the fixed wired installation, test as the IET book.

Do as Howard (above) says.

Thanks for the replies. I've ordered a new copy from amazon as the one I had is probably out of date now, if I manage to find it. The different wording 'in service...' makes much more sense striaght away!

Thanks!!
James

Ahh, now then there is a quandary for you!
I said testing, but I meant working, SORRY!!!
How are you going to isolate a fixed appliance from the supply to enable you to PAT, IF you can't isolate the circuit?...

switch off the FCU. mind where you put your sausage fingers. disconnect appliance. test. reconnect. unless the circuit can be isolated without causing danger, disruption or inconvenience.

There was a recent thread along the lines of...'I'm competent enough to work on an FCU but do I then need a 'qualified' electrician to check said FCU' or something like that?!?!?
It all seems a bit silly to me. :rolleyes4::dizzy2:

Another one of these 'grey' areas it seems then! Can anyone tell me the recommended interval between tests for hand dryers etc please (my new book will take a couple of days to arrive). Does the book provide example certs, like 7671, of the sheets you need to fill in for each appliance to form the record/log or can anyone point me in the direction of one I can down load please? I'm a bit rusty because it's been quite a while!!

Thanks
James

"The book " does provide examples of the appliance "stickers" and other forms associated with the requirements of the code of practice for in service inspecting and testing of electrical equipment.

You can also download all the forms you will need from the IET site following this link.
http://electrical.------.org/wiring-regulations/forms/2008.cfm?type=pdf

You will have to scroll to the bottom of the page to find the relevant forms.:smiley2: PS There are no defined periods between testing only factors influencing the decision, all will become clear in part 7 when you get your new book.

Last edited:
I would only PAT test appliances/equipment with a plug top on the lead!! Dammed if i would disconnect from a FCU connect a plug on the lead, ...do the pat test, then have to take the plug off and reconnect to the FCU!!! Even then, on some fixed equipment like drinking fountains that are permanently plumped in metallic pipework , you won't be able to do earth bond tests. In fact quite a few bit's of equipment especially in commercial kitchens, Lab's, etc etc, would have similar restrictions... And from what i can make of it, then only able to charge 50p ...lol!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to PAT testing hand dryers, water heaters etc?? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net