Discuss PAT Testing ? it looks like they are sending out messages that things are to change in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

oldtimer

Well has anybody read the Issue 24 of the spring edition of the ESC Switch On (page9) Sorry I cannot attach it but the jist is there is to be an overhaul of the PAT testing regime. It has echoed what a lot of us have been saying ie the opening statement is we are still using the term PAT testing when it should be InService Inspection & Testing of Electrical Equipment. So it looks like we will be getting a a refresh and review in guidance to PAT and surprise surprise the Schemies are to be consulted over the next 2 months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: PAT Testing ? it looks like they are sending out messages that things are to chan

Well that's a surprise !!!
Is it not always been " In Service Inspection and Testing Of Electrical Equipment"
The term PAT- testing was only adapted by people who did not know any better !
How kind of the SCAM-Providers to put everybody in the picture (for a very big fee off course!)

Re: PAT Testing ? it looks like they are sending out messages that things are to chan

Well that's a surprise !!!
Is it not always been " In Service Inspection and Testing Of Electrical Equipment"
The term PAT- testing was only adapted by people who did not know any better !
How kind of the SCAM-Providers to put everybody in the picture (for a very big fee off course!)

Apparantly even the ones in the know are still using the term PAT testing ie when i was serving my time "Its a lamp son not a bl**dy bulb" so when I say a lamp the general public think I am talking about a standard lamp so i have to say bulb and PAT testing is the same.

But if you read my earlier posts about the lecturer at my II&TEE course he said watch this space big changes ahead ie PAT to be relaunched as II&TEE and fixed appliances on the agenda with only an electrician can check out if connected to a FCU

Pat testing is just a misnoma that has been widely adopted.
However surely fixed appliances should be checked as part of the fixed installation.

Well has anybody read the Issue 24 of the spring edition of the ESC Switch On (page9) Sorry I cannot attach it but the jist is there is to be an overhaul of the PAT testing regime. It has echoed what a lot of us have been saying ie the opening statement is we are still using the term PAT testing when it should be InService Inspection & Testing of Electrical Equipment. So it looks like we will be getting a a refresh and review in guidance to PAT and surprise surprise the Schemies are to be consulted over the next 2 months.
so does this mean that pat testers will now be refered to as "in service inspection and testing of electrical equipment engineers"?...lol

hi Adam, yes they are still appliances, but surely it just makes more sense to test them as part of the fixed installation , as they are as much a part of it as the light fittings.

What instantly springs to mind is hotels where all the appliances such as TVs and hairdriers are wired into FCUs so the guests can't steal them so easily. In any other situation they would be classed as a portable appliance should fall under the remit of 'PAT', so in my opinion should be tested as such, even if it involves isolating and disconnecting them to test, otherwise they wouldn't get tested at all - under an EICR I would probably switch off the FCU and test up to and from that.
Remember a PAT tester automatically links the line and neutral conductors together to prevent damage to the equipment when testing IR whereas a MFT doesn't.

To add to that a light fitting, whether it be a fancy fitting, pendant or just a battenholder would be unlikely to ever be terminated via a plugtop - you could easily test those safely by removing the lamps.

Pat testing is just a misnoma that has been widely adopted.

PAT testing is a misnoma for a few things like selling a complete service and only doing half a job by leaving fixed appliances / equipment visual inspected or completely unchecked and untested

How can an industry that is offering a safety related service leave a client so in the dark as to what they do regarding what is tested and what is visually checked

But then again there is no actual law that says PAT testing is needed but some of the frightening and scare tactics used by the sales people would have you believe differently but then again it's only following up on what the HSE said and did when the EAWR was introduced

However surely fixed appliances should be checked as part of the fixed installation.

This seems to be buck passing to allow the whirling dervish PAT testing industry to be here one minute and gone the next and anything that takes too long to do is passed by, how many fixed appliances could be properly checked in a day I bet it's well less than 100.

hi Adam, yes they are still appliances, but surely it just makes more sense to test them as part of the fixed installation , as they are as much a part of it as the light fittings.

Light fittings are a functional part of a standard fixed installation and have a different testing schedule / cycle to that of "in service fixed equipment" and portable appliances

So testing of appliances with the fixed installation would necessitate more frequent testing of the fixed installation under your suggestion increasing the clients costs when what is actually required is increasing the competence level within the appliance testing industry this would also increase costs to the end user but would give the industry a bit more credibility

Yep as the college lecturer said to me EICR covers the fixed wiring PAT as it was known appeared to say and cover portable equipment only and people were asking what about the Hob,oven,storage heater,wall mounted convector heater and even the humble all plastic kitchen/bathroom extract fan. Hence why they have changed the name and as I said in a previous post I could not find a PAT testing course on the college website because it was under II&TEE and I only found it because it said (formaly PAT) plus this was a 6 week night school course insted of a half day NICEIC/Select course that were £20-£30 dearer. So basically the lecturer was giving us a heads up as they are in on the big conversation and they way he put it was PAT needs to be relaunched as II&TEE hilighting the need to test fixed appliances and as for the sole trained PAT tester who is not an electrician there is no discussion they cannot sanction training these guys to upen FCUs or Cooker switches as he said you are either an electrician or you are not this is why they have been kicking the can so to speak down the road but we will wait to see what the outcome is me thinks the big PAT testing companies will have to hire an electrician where the small independants well thats their headache but look like I could be doing more of it as I do work for a couple of letting agents (although not PAT testing)

I feel a storm coming on here if what you say is right oldtimer .
The cheap o days for firms paying a pound odds per item will be gone .
I believe that some non sparks will be competent to test fixed equipment .
where do the fast trackers stand with this then i wonder.

72-van

I dont think they do stand as it were I was on the course last November and hindsight is a great thing but I do think the lecturer was planting seeds because he hinted that there was informal talks and yes relaunch PAT to II&TEE get a handle on fixed appliances plus as he put it a big headache with the PAT only guys not being competent and I said at the time but you can develope a course and the answer was a straight no because this where do you draw the line ie a FCU for and oven but a 3 phase switch for a commercial oven

off topic slightly, for testing downlights there is a set of lightmates available, but the downlights dont take a cpc so what is the point of these...

R1 + R2 and Zs is only test you need todo from these points and you cant get at cpc... some people are wired:hanged:

I have tried those lightmates they make it so much easier than holding the probes s on and trying to press the test button.

I don't see any need to abolish "PAT testing" altogether because that would cost jobs - customers should have the choice between 'PAT testing' and II&TEE. Whether insurance companies (who are usually the ones calling for it to be done) decide they want all the appliances tested or just the 'portable' ones remains to be seen.

I agree at the end of the day it isd the indurance industry that will dictate what happen just like they did with soke alarms. I think after reviewing the BGB this is the next logical step was PAT but looks like they have turned a stone and dont like whats underneath it

Reply to PAT Testing ? it looks like they are sending out messages that things are to change in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net